UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

In Spite Of All My Efforts

chuckey-lee

some of you might remember about 1.5 yrs ago my friend from around the corner got a Staffie-pup called Sheya and a post on DP asking for any advice to give my friend to please not breed from her and have her spayed as soon as possible ,I even offered her a discount voucher so she could have it done for 25 pnds and kept mentioning how full rescues are with Staffies/Staffie-crosses

well, you know what's coming ,yep , she's gonna have pups sometime next week :mecry: after all my efforts to not let this happen , I tell ya, I could've burst into tears right there on the spot after I noticed she gone rather big around the tummy and they told me she was having pups , apparently she had gotten out on newyearsnight....... :glare:

they also told me they're planning to keep one and they've got atleast 5 homes waiting for a pup,but be honest,you know what peeps are like when they here of a doggie going to have pups 'Ooooh ,I'll have one ' but when its time for the pups to leave ,you'll find suddenly less interest ,some people are just so shortsided , even if you put their noses right in to it, they still can't see it :(

so, once again ,can any of you give me any advice or tips on this? I mean, she is still my friend and I dont want to upset her or anything ,just wanna show the way sort of like

sorry my post got a bit longer then I thought, but it has really upset me,Im so worried about those pups :(

Best thing she can do is make sure the mum has everything she needs, she should be on a good quality puppy food, nutrionaly the last two weeks of pregnancy are the most demanding, and mum will need the easily digestable, high calorie intake for the weeks ahead, as an average by the time the puppies are three weeks old the mum should be getting about three times her average food, producing milk takes a lot of calories and ask the vet about a worming program for the mum, this will help minimize the worm burdon on the pups when they are born, they should also be wormed at two,four and six weeks, make sure mum has a quiet, warm, safe place to give birth, and give her a bit of respect, no curiouse visitors or children and keep other pets away, stay close to her at this time, she will need gentle reasurance and support, have the vets number close at hand in case of any difficulties, and if she seems to be taking to long to deliver a puppy get her to the vets P D Q, if she has a long birthing and after the birth is complete she should be offered an electrolyte drink, the puppies should be checked for birth defects and ensure that they are all suckling, the bedding should also be changed and then changed once a day, the owner should also be prepared in case the mum rejects the litter, hygene and disease prevention are very important, try and limit visitors for the first few weeks so as not to stress mum, anyone handling the puppies must wash their hands well.

Hope this is what you meant as to advice, i have a lot of dog books :rolleyes:

wow! thanks for that, I can just print that of and hand it to her,thats really easy put ,luckely they have our local vets lituraly at their doorstep and they've already asked if it was ok to ask me to come and help them during birth

any ideas about how to get her spayed asap without putting her owners off? I know they want to ,but how could I give them that gentle last push?

forgot to say he actually said to me ' we only want just one litter' ........... how ironic hey?

Hopefully, once they realise the hard work and costs involved with rearing a litter they will have mum spayed. If not give them some links to veterinary web sites, that show Pyometra etc.

Also send them a link to the Staffy X web site.

Just to add to what Celeste has said, if there is any green discharge coming away from mum get her to contact vets. It could mean there is a dead pup in there. :(

Kazz xx

I'm sure someone did a montage on here a while ago that showed all the bull breeds in rescue, one of the pictures was of a whole litter of Staff pups that had been pts, all lying in a row on a table, i found that photo very shocking, and is one of the main reasons my next dog will be a rescue, perhaps something like that would make them realise the fate of some puppies

Edited by celeste

altho pups are gorgeous, once they get to 4 weeks your friend will realise how smelly,noisy and time consuming they are if they are not fed and cared for properly. Please make sure that she does not let them go before they are at least 6 weeks old. When they get to 5 weeks people often get fed up and start giving them away. Make sure that the mum is wormed before and after the birth. Good luck xx

she had 7 pups 2 days ago :( they are doing great but I found mum a bit on the skinny side ,I did tell them to put her on puppy food,they are giving here extra canned food tho and seem to think this is just as good , so off to petshop round the corner for me tomorrow to get sum ;)

When we meet people in the park who say, "I'm going to let her have one litter" :angry: :angry: :angry: , we tell the story of the lovely Staffie Ripley, who had an "accidental" mating with a Poodle. She had about 5 or 6 pups and reared them all beautifully, only to die when they were 6 weeks old of a retained placenta :(

Then there was " Sheena " a lab x who had 9 puppies. Her owner didn't have her spayed and she died of pyometra :(

Sometimes, I think (hope) that this does put some people off.

Good luck Vivian

:flowers: Karen x

chuckey - your friends bitch should be eating anything she wants right now, anything at all (yes, even if that means shes eating prime steak or flipping Whiskas!)..... and she should be eating as much of it as she likes, as and when she likes. (puppy food IS good though).

If the last two weeks of pregnancy are demanding..... the first few weeks of feeding a litter are beyond belief - hence the skinnyness.