UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogstar Foundation

Happylittlegreensquirrel

as many of you know Mark and I set up the Dogstar Foundation late last year , the original thread is http://www.rykat.org/forums/index.php?show...c=17380&hl=

so many of you wanted to help so I want to update everyone as to where we are

One of the things I said in my last post was that we were opening a Bank of Ceylon account so that we could do transfers to MEFs account without occurring huge international transfer fees. We approached the Bank of Ceylon in London and Mark had an interview with the bank Manager (he said it was like a job interview ) he passed and they agreed we could have the account and it would take about a month to get us the account numbers , the only down side was that for 6 months it had to be in Marks name and not Dogstar whilst it was monitored for transactions ( this is due to the concerns about overseas funding to the Tamil Tigers )

so every thing looked good until we tried to transfer a lump sum , after a week MEF said it had not arrived in there account and it was not in ours :unsure: then we got a call to say that Mark needed to go in and see the Bank Manager again. It turned out that due to an admin error they had opened us the wrong type of account so that was closed and they are doing us a new one now that will accept UK Cheques and Bank transfer whilst still allowing us to transfer money direct to MEF ( our lump sum is now safely on its way )

next is the website ( or lack of one ) I have had a fantastic offer from Richard the Sane to design and host my website but I have not been able to provide all the details he needs ( including bank details ) plus MEF have had dreadful PC problems so photos and updates have been difficult to get

but its not all bad news at all

Our Vet has been treating dogs and cats at Clinics since January treating a number of conditions and neutering. I have agreed that Dogstar will fund at least one open Clinic a month as well as 50 % of the vets wages so this will be a ongoing process and we hope to neuter at 100 animals in the first year

The next bit of good news is that the WSPA http://wspa.org.uk/index.asp who work with MEF are interested in our project

The last bit of important news is that Dogstar has committed to fund the building and kitting out of a veterinary clinic on site that will transform the way that animals are treated ( at the moment dogs are treated on a sterilised floor of a building ) This Clinic will also help provide first class treatment to the resident elephants

I am going back over in 3 weeks to discuss all of the above with the MEF trustees , their accountant and the Senior Vet staff at the university ( as well as our vet ) to plan the funding and way forward for the next year

so thats the update bit now the request for help

Frontline , Stronghold and worming tablets are not easily available in Sri Lanka but such simple treatments make a huge difference to the quality of life to the dogs ( and cats ) we are trying to help

If you have a spare tube of flea treatment or a few worming tablets could you please send them to me before the 28th March and I will take them over with me

last year the response was amazing and when everyones donations arrived we were able to treat a large number of animals

Please PM me for my address if you can help

Thank you so much

Sam

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just to add that all our clinics/treatments are totally free to the animals owner ( or Monk where animals are being cared for at Temples ) and we are also looking at tackling the stray population by trapping them neutering and treating them and returning them to the streets ( not ideal but it will stop the population explosion )

Local people are generally very kind to there own animals and strays ( when it rains I saw people let the animals shelter in door ways and stand in the rain themselves ) they just don't have the money or access to get veterinary treatment

Thanks for the update Sam :flowers: I was wondering how things were going. Ruby and I will be glad to help when and wherever we can.

Not of direct help for the Dogstar Foundation I know but do you need any more pencils to take out on your next or subsequent trip :unsure:

Meanwhile will see what we have in wormers and Frontline. I have your address :)

Marion

Just a thought Sam, I will be buying our next worming supply in bulk at Crufts in a couple of weeks, as you get brilliant deals then.

If people could chip in for a supply for DOGSTAR, I don't mind getting it while I'm there.

The adverts and prices will be in the Dog Press in the next couple of weeks.

You can also now purchase Frontline spot on from vet-medic.com without a prescription. Purchases ordered could be sent direct to Sam, the price for 6 pipettes of Frontline for a dog between 20-40kgs is £23.36.

Sam, which is the best weight range of Frontline to get? What sort of weight are the majority of dogs ish? It comes in 10-20kg, 20-40kg and 40kg plus.

I would say that the majority of dogs would fall into the 10-20kg range

Thanks Sarah we are going to have a look at Crufts for bargins. do you have any other top tips for saving money ( or making it go further ) in dog medicine land

The other thing I need to get is some method of sterlising equipment , ? I was thinking milton baby tablets in the short term but does any one have any better ideas ?

What about approaching the makers of sterilisers to see if they would donate something or at least let you have it at cost :unsure:

Or

If any vets were upgrading their equipment you might be able to nab the old stuff :unsure:

Also what about the drug companies - they might be game for a few freebies :unsure:

Marion

Thanks for all the suggestions and offers of items :flowers:

I think I will wait until I get back before approaching companies as I will have more proof of what we are doing and some evidence ( although a CD is now on its way with photos from the last clinic ) and hopefully we will have started building the clinic at that point

Border Collie, thanks for the name of the steriliser I have looked on ebay and they do appear 2nd hand which is rather fab as well

I am also excited about a cunning plan a fugee has but I don't find out more until tomorrow ( which just makes it more exciting really )

Thanks chaps you really are fantastic

Sam

Thanks for all the suggestions and offers of items :flowers:

I think I will wait until I get back before approaching companies as I will have more proof of what we are doing and some evidence ( although a CD is now on its way with photos from the last clinic ) and hopefully we will have started building the clinic at that point

Border Collie, thanks for the name of the steriliser I have looked on ebay and they do appear 2nd hand which is rather fab as well

I am also excited about a cunning plan a fugee has but I don't find out more until tomorrow ( which just makes it more exciting really )

Thanks chaps you really are fantastic

Sam

Sam,

Let me know when you are at Crufts and I will try and get some medic stuff that day for you