UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help Dog Running Away

barkingmad

Hi I have bein fostering Rex a 10 yr old collie x lab. I have had him for a week and he is very well behaved. He is great with other dogs off lead and has great recall but when he has a poo (on or off lead) he tries to run away. :ohmy: He sort of bolts at a hundred miles per hour in any direction that you are not. I do not look at him when he poos as this scares him and he will turn around when pooing to keep an eye on you. I stand well away and when he is finished I tell him good boy and talk softly. :( this has stopped him for runnig away but he will not come back for a bout 5 mins. I move away from the poo and he will come back then I have to put him on lead to go back and get the poo. If I try to get the poo when Rex is off lead he runs off. :ohmy: I really think something has happend to poor old Rex. :unsure: He will poo on lead but gets very upset. this is the only problem we have with rex and i just wanted to make sure i was doing the right things to help him over come this. Thanks :biggrin:

As JulesB said, get him checked in case it's something medical.

But my Collie cross does this, though not as extreme - she'll never poo in front of you. She'll always run over to the other sie of the field before she goes, and I know why it is. Her first owners obviously yelled at her (and I'm guessing they hit her, as they had the idea that they should hit her on the nose whenever she greeted them to "show her who's boss") for going to the loo inside, and instead of housetraining her, it lead to her thinking "If I poo, people will hurt me. I'd better get far enough away first so they can't get me."

Basically, Connie thinks pooing is bad and ends in punishment, so she's scared to poo in front of people. If Rex is a rescue maybe the same has happened to him? Try keeping him on lead if you think he's going to poo, then give him loads of praise as he does it, lots of fuss and maybe a treat afterwards.

Rex was rescued at 14 months by an elderly lady. the lady had bim for nine years and became very ill a few weeks ago (she is nearly 100yrs old). I think some thing bad must of happend when he was a puppy. But he is coming round. as today he did a poo on lead and stood still while i picked it up. :flowers: I dont think it is hurting him as he has been to the vets for full check up. I just wondered if I was doing the right things to help Rex as i have never had a dog that runs away when they poo before :D It doesnt matter what type of lead he is on short long or off lead he still tries to bolt. Sorry that is the only way to discribe it. he takes off like a race horse. He is very hard to hold when on a lead when he does this.

Just wondering, if he has a problem emotionally with pooing in human presence, whether you picking it up immediately is a bit too much to soon? I might go with him doing it on lead and praising, then adding a 'cue word' and praising so that he learns its a good thing, then once he will do it on cue cleaning up after him. :)