UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Really Overgrown Nails

Fee

One of my neighbours has just adopted a boxer from a local rescue. This poor dog has the longest nails I've ever seen, they are so bad they curve right round and she can hardly walk properly.

She has taken her to the vet to have her nails clipped, but just taking a tiny bit off the end made them bleed so the quicks have obviously grown right down. The vet's advice was that it will have to be done gradually clipping a tiny bit every 2-3 weeks, but having seen them I reckon that could take months to get them to a length where they are comfortable.

She is going in to be spayed soon - would that be an opportunity to have her nails trimmed right back? Apparently the vet didn't seem keen to do it - I know it would bleed and probably leave her feet sore, but I would have thought the discomfort would be a lot less and over a lot quicker than leaving her as she is.

Anyone any experience with this?

Merlin's were very long when I first got him, they were so long that the 2 front nails crossed over and stayed like that until I released them. He also often walked as if he was lamb but nothing could be found apart from his nails.

I used to clip a little off every 3 or 4 days, and walked him on tarmac as much as possible.

It took me some time to get them down, but it was worth all the effort to seen him walking properly. It is better to do them slowly and regularly than to do them in one go.

Much better to do a little at a time than go in there chopping. We wouldn't appreciate someone cutting off our fingers and toes :wink:

She'll have enough to cope with being spayed. What she needs right now is TLC. Homeopathic Arnica 30, one tablet three times daily starting 2 days before op and continuing for a few days after would really help. From chemist/health store. All ops are best done when moon is waning if there's a choice.

I have one of those battery operated manucure sets and as I have no decent nails use it to file little bits at a time from the hounds nails. I think it cost about a tenner.

Only really any good if your dog is tolerant of noisy whizzy things near them though.

Thanks for the advice, I'll pass it on. Unfortunately the poor dog apparently gets very distressed having her nails clipped - hardly surprising as it probably hurts her :( The lady is a pensioner and I don't think will cope with doing them herself. I suspect paying the vet to have them done every 3-4 days would be a hardship too.

Do you think it would be unreasonable to ask the rescue if there is anyone there who could do it for her if she takes her in once a week or so?