UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs That 'talk'

cycas

I've been reading a few dog behaviour books recently - all very interesting - but I've noticed that they tend to focus very much on body language rather than sound.

Mollydog is a very vocal (and amusing) dog, even though she almost never barks, she whines, roos, sobs, sings, and screams quite a bit, which I believe some greyhounds tend to do.

Yet Az, who is mostly greyhound, almost never makes a noise other than the occasional bark.

I wondered why she does this, and if noises other than barking are a common way for dogs to try to communicate.

Ohh interesting! I've not got a clue...so will be interested to see if anyone else does!!!

Cooper's a chatter box...he has a horse little whiny type thing that he does when he's excited! And Sidney is a complete loon!! He yaps, woohoos and has this amazingly high pitched sort of whiney screamy thing!! (Very girly!! :laugh: ) Where as the other 2 are purely barkers! Tiz barks at everything and Cromwell only ever barks when he's waiting for me to get my ar*e moving for his walk!! :laugh:

Nog talks - he's the most vocal of any dog I have had, and it is "talking" he will actually answer you with vocal sounds and initiate conversations :laugh: He will also pass comment on other dogs, things he sees going on, if there's not room on the sofa etc and he does so with quite a variety of different sounds from irritated, to amused to surprised to swearing/grumbling under his breath accompanied by loud huffs and sighs- he too is not a big barker like Mollydog.

I have always found it funny and whilst I'm not prone to "humanising" animals the way in which he will "answer" you is really hard to describe other than by accepting that it is a genuine attempt to communicate and join in with "conversation".

For example he just popped his head in here and went "aroooah" now I know exactly what that means - so I answered "5 more mins and I'll be there for a nap" to which he replied "uurrggar rowwarrrr" and went straight to the bedroom to wait for me - clearly a bit miffed that I'm running late and keeping him up *laughs*

Out of my 5 dogs, there is on Milly that I would say, tells me in certain ways what she wants. The whine, change my water, the lifting of head whine, move Molly out of the way, I want to get past. The growl, leave me alone, I'm asleep, and of course the sad eye look, which normal means Milly wants a cuddle. :wub: :wub: