UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

HTM Tips and hints please

Guest patch

This thread is the place to ask for help if you are having problems learning a movement with your dog/s where hopefully the experienced peeps will help out :)

What is the difference between a twirl and a twist?

I assume a twirl is round in a circle on the floor but a twist?

Just curious mainly as I am always looking at new things to teach Sadie and stop her being bored.

Caz

were patch uses twist she means turn on your left and were she uses twirl she means on the right.

you can call your twists what you like, so there is no set command.

However most people use a seperate commmand depending on what side the dog is on.

I use twist and whirly.

Twist is my left and they turn out to the left away from me, same if they are standing in front of me and I use my left hand to send them into a twist away to me and to the left.

Whirly is my command on the right, they always go out away from me to the right, same in front.

Best to keep things simple, have 2 commands, always send the dog away from you, ie don't turn them in towards you on a twist.

If they are standing in front of you its like wax on wax off from karate kid, out to the left, wax on, dog should twist to their left, wax off, right hand, dog should whirly to their right.

Does that make sense :)

you will find lots of different commands but the move is the same, Traceymcl says circle for twist etc

Edited by crazyspaniels

were patch uses twist she means turn on your left and were she uses twirl she means on the right.

you can call your twists what you like, so there is no set command.

However most people use a seperate commmand depending on what side the dog is on.

I use twist and whirly.

Twist is my left and they turn out to the left away from me, same if they are standing in front of me and I use my left hand to send them into a twist away to me and to the left.

Whirly is my command on the right, they always go out away from me to the right, same in front.

Best to keep things simple, have 2 commands, always send the dog away from you, ie don't turn them in towards you on a twist.

If they are standing in front of you its like wax on wax off from karate kid, out to the left, wax on, dog should twist to their left, wax off, right hand, dog should whirly to their right.

Does that make sense :)

you will find lots of different commands but the move is the same, Traceymcl says circle for twist etc

That made perfect sense - and I soo got the Karate Kid reference :shy: !

I have been chatting to Tracey on a bullie forum and thought I might give HTM a go. I will probably start with Sadie (rottie) as she picks things up fast but if Buster completes his beginners class I may try it with him too. I don't think there are local classes but could suggest it to my trainer and see what she comes up with.

Caz

h'okay, first dumb question!

1. like Neo - Finn knows "round-you-go" and goes in the direction of my hand, or nod - should I teach him specific turns? or can I just use the hand signal?

2. should all of that be trained to one command?

3. do we use vocal commands or just hand signals?

very confused!

This may seem like a really dumb question but on the twists and twirls, how do we get the dog to heel on the opposite side to the way they are twirling? Like a left twist is followed by heel on right...

Dumb in Manchester

:lol: :lol: I was dumb in Coventry but I know Slipping Halo so asked her what on earth it all meant :lol:

You have the dog walking on your left and then get it to do a twist away from you - whilst the dog is turning you do an about turn so your right is nearest the dog and you can then pick up the dog and do heelwork on the right

:lol: :lol: I was dumb in Coventry but I know Slipping Halo so asked her what on earth it all meant :lol:

You have the dog walking on your left and then get it to do a twist away from you - whilst the dog is turning you do an about turn so your right is nearest the dog and you can then pick up the dog and do heelwork on the right

Ahhhhhhhhh righty :D Thanks Dawn :D

turn in on your dog, so dog on left, send out for twist and you do a left about so you have a shorter turn and can watch your dog - just in case people were turning out to the right and sending their dog out to the left, its a trickier turn that way.

A good reason to have a signal word is so that you can try it without a hand signal, therefore making it look more impressive, and its another challenge, get them to learn the signal, then word and signal and then just the word - 3 training methods in one :)