UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Chasing Squirrels

Guest Rogue

Hi

I wondered if anyone knows if there is anyway know to man (or woman) to stop their dog chasing after squirrels.

As soon as we go anywhere near a wooded area my GSDx husky is totally obsessed with finding and catching squirrels. As I see her head off I call her, she just tucks her ears back and ignores me! Any other time her recall is great.

On Friday a friend and I watched in horror as she ran full pelt into a tree after one squirrel and then found another and chased it with her jaws snapping at the poor things tail! :ohmy:

I would be devestated if she caught one, I've tried a spray collar which she ignored completely and I've tried recalling her and using slices of sausage but the squirrel wins hands down.

We also have squirrels in our garden so when I let her out she does 'stealth' out the door and then she runs at them, when they go up a tree she will sit beneath it waiting for them to fall off the branch! I thought having them in our garden might be usefull in some way as there is plenty of opportunity for training but I don't quite know how to do it.

I've started avoiding some of the woods we ususally go as I am worried she won't return. Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated. :)

Many thanks

Wendy

x

She must get quite a buzz out of this sort of behaviour, and each time she gets to 'practise' it she's reminded of how much fun it is - this is made doubly difficult by the fact that it can also happen in your own back garden :(

I think you're doing the right thing by avoiding woods were it might happen.

It is possible to teach a 'chase recall' - Lyndsay has taught her BSD to recall from deer and sheep in the New Forest, but she doesn't (to my knowledge) come across them very often...........

Sheep recall / tolerance is fairly easy, specially if you are somewhere where there are a fair number of people, so they don't fly off whenever they spot a dog.

Squirrel recall much more difficult, I think because they are so little and fast exactly like dog toys with their own built-in engines and legs!

Squirrels are the only thing I have problems getting Mollydog back from. Will be keeping an eye on this, see if anyone has any tips.

If the squirrels are in your garden, it will be harder to stop your dog, as to stop predatory chasing, it is essential you remove the "chosen" target and replace this with a specially chosen new "target" plus lots of groundwork. I attended a predatory chase seminar a while back and so this isn't just my opinion, but that of top behaviourists who work successfully with chasing dogs :)

In your case it isn't possible to start the first step which is to remove the squirrels, so short of moving there's not much you can do. My dogs have all chased squirrels, even the one who will recall off running deer...in all the years they've only got one :mecry: which was on open land, I am sure they usually do get right away if in trees.

Thanks to everyone who had a minute to add their thoughts!

Looks like I'm giong to have to live with it or I guess I could get hold of an adult sized squirrel outfit and chase her through the woods! :biggrin: See how she likes it!

If anyone has any more ideas I would love to hear from you!

Thanks again

Wendy

x