UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Nhs Crap/not Crap?

Pingu

NHS  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think the NHS is pretty good when it is allowed to be. I don't think the NHS as a whole is particularly underfunded, but I think the Managers are grossly overpaid, thus taking money from the areas that need more. Cut out the managers, bring back the old style matrons and spread the managers' salaries out amongst those that deserve it. Not all doctors and nurses, just those that deserve extra. Make it worth their while to go the extra mile for a patient. I know nurses aren't in it for the money, but if they got a bit extra in their pay whenever they got praise from a patient, it would make them want to do more for them. I think the "bad" nurses are merely disillusioned and need a bit more encouragement. I was recently in hospital for 3 days with a back injury. One of the nurses seemed very harsh with an old lady opposite me, but to be fair, the old lady was very rude to her and never said thank you for anything. I needed a shower but needed to be taken to the shower room because I wasn't very steady on my feet. I asked for help & the unhelpful nurse was assigned to help me. I was dismayed because I wasn't feeling strong enough to deal with someone rude. I said please and thank you in all the right places (as I normally do) and the nurse was extremely caring and helpful. I think that she was just fed up of being treated like a skivvy when dealing with the old lady with no thanks whatsoever.

Edited by cindere528

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the nurses seemed very harsh with an old lady opposite me, but to be fair, the old lady was very rude to her and never said thank you for anything. I needed a shower but needed to be taken to the shower room because I wasn't very steady on my feet. I asked for help & the unhelpful nurse was assigned to help me. I was dismayed because I wasn't feeling strong enough to deal with someone rude. I said please and thank you in all the right places (as I normally do) and the nurse was extremely caring and helpful. I think that she was just fed up of being treated like a skivvy when dealing with the old lady with no thanks whatsoever.

Sorry, but handling grumpy old ladies comes with the territory. What about all the other public servants who have to endure worse than this on a daily basis? Waitresses, civil servants, shopkeepers, bus drivers etc? Do we agree that they are right to be rude to their clients/customers?

There are many reasons why old ladies and others might be rude and uncooperative when they're ill. I'd hate to think that we had to depend on the whim of whichever nurse was on duty that day; it's surely not up to an individual member of the medical staff to decide how a patient is treated? That's where professionalism shows.

The very fact that you had concerns about relying on this particular nurse, once you'd seen how she treated someone else, is simply not good enough. Being in hospital is stressful enough without that kind of anxiety.

Liz.