UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Horse hunting at this end is not going so well, sadly the buyer's ability does not match the type of horse she thinks is perfect. Last thing she needs is another disaster!

Guiness looks good, hope he turns out well.

Now YO's Kim is ill, she is anaemic and her red/white blood counts are odd, don't know what on earth is going on with them, must be the weather. Vet was amazed when Kim calmly fell asleep while he was talking to YO!

There are some really nasty Virus (s) doing the rounds at the moment....people being knocked off their feet for upto 3 weeks.....

There are some really nasty Virus (s) doing the rounds at the moment....people being knocked off their feet for upto 3 weeks.....

Indeed there are, and the one I picked up had me feeling really ill last week. Let's hope that Kim recovers quickly and is able to fight it off.

Re. Pendlewitch's comment about buyers ability not matching what they think is a perfect horse for them... Well, I had to smile, as that is so often the case. I see a lot of it around here.

What never ceases to amaze me are the number of people who will go out and buy foals or unbroken youngsters - often with potential - and believe they can handle, break and bring them on, despite very limited experience riding, let alone horse management or horse psychology. So many end up ruined that way, or broken-in by the 'so-called' experts - and that often when far too young and immature.

When I was training, and apart from TBs destined to race as two-year-olds, I was always taught that a horse or pony should never be backed until it was at least rising four years old, so that it could mature and develop properly. Even then, the individual horse's level of physical maturity needed to be assessed, and its education tempered accordingly.

The emphasis was always on the handling and gradual introduction of new experiences prior to actually backing the horse or pony. Get that right, and all seemed to follow a natural, calm progression, so that when backing took place, the horse had built up such a level of trust, that there was rarely, if ever, any problems.

Nowadays, patience seems to have gone out of the window, and so many people look for short cuts or perfection without wanting to put in the groundwork or the effort. Some even expect a two or three years old to be the 'finished product' and suitable for someone with, perhaps, six months of weekly riding school lessons.

From what I have seen of the quality of many riding school lessons, few pupils can hope to establish a good, independent seat on a horse in that time, and unless they are able to afford good quality, private tuition. (And that is before they get onto aspects of horsemastership and stable management etc.)

Anyway, if well enough, I hope to visit my goddaughter towards the end of next week, and have agreed to try that event mare, as she has a proper, stone built mounting block where I'll be able to mount and dismount this 'monstrous 16.2hh beast'. :laugh: (Anything to get the girl off my back and stop her nagging, but also because she's been busy ensuring the mare will stand quietly at that block for a creaky old rider to get into and out of the plate!) I've told her that there is no way I'd have that mare, though, however good she is, so guess she just wants to prove some of her points to me. :laugh: I might also get a ride on the young Highland mare, too, then, which will be fun. It is years since I rode a Highland, and have always liked the breed.

I've actually been waiting in this lunchtime for my EX-livery woman, who sent a message via someone else to say she ws coming to see me to sort 'matters out' - presumably the outstanding livery fees? I was also told that she'd needed this long before doing so to calm down, as she is so angry with me! :rolleyes: She hasn't turned up yet... I wonder if she even will? Probably not if she knows I have the quote for repairing the brand new stable doors and door linings that her colt ate!

Interestingly, she is under the impression that the reason why she had so much trouble findiing somewhere else to keep her animals, is because I have been poisoning all the local yard owners against her! I wonder how she thinks I did that? With psychic powers from my sick bed, perhaps? Heck, I hardly see anyone unless they call in for a cuppa down at my place! Alas, her reputation goes before her, and goodness knows how long it will be before her new YO has their eyes opened, and she will be on the move again.

At least it was lovely and peaceful down on my yard this morning. The sun was shining, Merlyn and Bron relaxed - or as much as Bron will relax when denied the chance to scoff Merlyn's breakfast as well as her own because he was popped into the stable to eat it in peace! Even the resident c*** robin wasn't as frantic today as he has been the last few, and with so many of his offspring still hanging around his territory! :laugh:

Just wishing I wasn't still feeling as if a mule had hammered hell out of my ribcage, else I'd be risking throwing a saddle on Merlyn and going out for a nice afternoon's plod (?) amongst the rock monsters, gremlins and trolls up on the hillside...

I know what you mean about people not having the patience. There is a girl on my farm who has a 3 year old and she has been riding it since it turned 2. She is expecting him to be able to canter figures of 8 but has done no groundwork with him. He won't lunge as he doesn't know what they are asking him to do. They don't have a saddle that fits as he has no muscle tone. I have told them that they need to turn him away till next year as he tries to buck her off (no surprise if the saddle doesn't fit!!) it is so frustrating!!! He's still teething and they are still putting a metal bit in his mouth and expecting him to accept it!!!

• Like 1

I know what you mean about people not having the patience. There is a girl on my farm who has a 3 year old and she has been riding it since it turned 2. She is expecting him to be able to canter figures of 8 but has done no groundwork with him. He won't lunge as he doesn't know what they are asking him to do. They don't have a saddle that fits as he has no muscle tone. I have told them that they need to turn him away till next year as he tries to buck her off (no surprise if the saddle doesn't fit!!) it is so frustrating!!! He's still teething and they are still putting a metal bit in his mouth and expecting him to accept it!!!

Thats awful :mecry:

Im horse hunting tomorrow - first ever experience of it - wish me luck!!! :wacko:

Hi everyone,

I have returned! Guinness was disappointing. He was extremely overweight and unfit, he obviously hadnt been worked properly for a long time. His was covered in scars and had lots of splints down his legs. Im sure there was also an issue with one of his front legs in terms of lameness - I dont think he wouldve passed a vetting.

On the other hand - to ride, he was...er... exciting! He was so unfit he was literally dripping with sweat. He was VERY fresh and excited obviously from not being ridden in a while but he was very responsive to all the aids. He had no problem with lateral work, shoulder in etc. He had a cracking jump on him, my instructor was really impressed with him. If it was just me on my own buying, and I wanted to do some show jumping he wouldve been a possible option. But he would just be WAY too much horse for Rhia to handle, I think she wouldve terrified herself to death if she had ridden him today.

Nevermind - it was an experience - it was very different to riding Earl (the epitome of 'plod'). April got some good photos of him, if she emails them to me I will post them.

The search continues...

Argh, Gooster, don't get me started on bitting and bits, else I'll still be on the soapbox this time next week! :rolleyes:

Why so many people seem to think a jointed snaffle is THE mildest bit, regardless of the ham-fisted creatures at the other end of the reins, and regardless of the shape and conformation of the horse's mouth at the other, is totally beyond me... And as for the mentality that, when a horse opens his mouth or finds some other way to tell the rider how darned uncomfortable he is, they don't engage the brain at all, but just slap on the drop or grackle nosebands and martingales, clamp it's mouth shut on the problems, and haul its head down! Net result, a ruined mouth, upside-down neck muscle development, and a horse so tense and uncomfortable, it hasn't a hope of developing a good outline and reaching any potential it might have!

I could go on, but cannot afford to get worked up! Back spasms last evening landed me in A & E until the early hours of the morning...

Cabbagepatch, I wish you more than luck. Beware the geese dressed as swans and the delusional sellers. Take time, and do try to be objective. I find it helpful to make a load of notes to myself - realistic ones - as to exactly what I am looking for, and use it as a checklist when viewing horses. Yes, there is usually some compromises that are possible, but listen to your gut feelings rather than some of the blarney sellers often attempt to bamboozle a potential buyer with - even the odd bit of emotional blackmail and flattery thrown in for good measure!

An old chap I once worked for once said to me that there was no such thing as an ugly horse - only horses with bad proportions and poor conformation, and I am convinced he was right. The ugly ones I see around are just not put together well! :laugh: (Says she, who is well aware that the old cob brrod mare, 'Doris' is no oil painting!)

Sorry that Guiness wasn't what you'd hoped.

Let's hope the next one will be better. Around here there are some useful horses going through the auctions for an absolute steal at present! £300 - £400 is all that the TBs and TB x are making. Friends have just bought one mare for that sort of price as a p-t-p prospect.

I learned this morning that my next door neighbour is considering selling her young sport horse. He's a 16.2hh, dark bay gelding. TB X (I think) ID. He's an absolute gentleman in the stable, to shoe, box, traffic etc., but obviously still a bit green under saddle, although coming along really nicely. His passport has him as a 4 yo, but if so, he was a very late foal, and his teeth look more like a 3 yo's. He has a lot of developing/maturing still to do, and to my mind, probably won't fully develop for another year or so. I've ridden out on Merlyn accompanying his owner on him, and he is a lot more sensible than my old devil! In the right hands, he'll go on to be a really useful horse. Price-wise, I think he is probably very reasonable at £2K. Not my type of horse to ride, as so big and 'breedy', but I do love his laid back nature and manners to handle. Another pal has just sold a slightly older and more advanced, but otherwise similar horse, for £10K! :ohmy:

I've had yet another horse offered me on permanent loan - another old mare. This one is 16 or 17 years and a PB cob. Have seen it being ridden around in the past though, and doubt it is up to my weight or would suit me for my purpose. (Elongated camel comes to mind! :laugh: )

Love reading all your stories with your horses and im green with envy as i'd love another some day again :rolleyes:

Anyway over the last couple of months ive been back riding, lovely hacks all off road with beautiful views. Ive ridden two horses, both 16.2, one a branded Belgian Warmblood who was unfortunately heading for the slaughter horse but was bought thankfully, put condition on and is now looking loads better.

Ooh what's his brand? Blue is a branded Belgian warmblood, his is (apparantly) a horses head in a circle, but I think it looks more like an A in a circle!!! Sounds like the perfect way to rediscover riding!!

We are still not allowed to use the school or turnout in any field apart from the 'lurgy' field (as we have nicknamed it) one of the girls has been fantastic and been putting blue out for me with hers whilst I am at work. Have given up on dressage show at end of September as I haven't schooled him since 10th august, and I think if we are allowed to travel by then we just won't be ready.

• Like 1

Horse buying is turning out to be a nightmare here as well, this is the email I just received from YO Sam about a horse they went to try tonight.

Off to rochdale to see mustard. what a a waste of time,got there, he looks ok, came out, prod and poke, funny indentation on windpipe, asked about it, never noticed it before, sore in back (aren't they all!!!) asked after a back person / physio, not had need to use one, marks on legs, asked about them, reply - well it's going to have some lumps and bumps cause it's been out for 3 years, i asked turned a way for 3 years, reply - yeah the owners had kids so he's just been in a field for 3 years, how long back in work then?, just 4 months (told micki 6), tacked it up, not a happy horse, bit micki's arm, head tossing and trying to bite rider whilst girthing up, asked to see it in school (bog), whilst she rode it I asked what had it done before being abandoned, show jumped about 1m most weeks at birchenly manor, unaff and bsja, owner competant, confident, it wore a very short martingale and no stops! rings on buckles 90% of time, me not riding that! Up shot was it was too much for micki you could tell just by looking at it being ridden by girl, very close in front (nearly plaiting) and behind, short legs, big body, big muscle under neck for one that's been out of work for 3 yrs, went very short and tight in neck, martingale in use all the time, very tense, poor pony, obviously sore and unhappy in back / body, and not the one for micki.

That's probably the 7th one she's seen, why do people not hear NERVOUS NOVICE and fib endlessly about what the horsee has done, not done, it's condition, etc, etc! There has to be a horse out there somewhere.