UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Oooh a lunge lesson is next on my list of things to do, for me not Loki that is.

When I had the lesson on the simulator I was told my right hip doesn't have the movement it should do, I was looking for exercises to do but haven't found anything yet, so will be interested if anyone knows of any :)

Ouch your going to be sore in the morning Phoenix :biggrin:

I had another lesson on Kai today. She was really good in walk but as soon as we trotted she went into witch mode and started cantering and bucking and squeeling. After trying to work in trot we gave up and had a jump instead. She loves jumping and was so exited, guess what, bucking!! Anyway managed to get a picture of her jumping, excuse my riding but apart from the few times I've jamped Kai I haven't jumped in over 10 years!!

P6070060.jpg

I also got a picture of Trigger today so I have included him before and after shots, what do you think. Not only can he now walk comfortably but has been seen cantering round with Kai! You can see in the second photo how rocked back his hooves were from the laminitis.

First day he arrive

P3230004.jpg

After cutting out all the matts and a good brush

P3310015.jpg

And today :biggrin:

P6070064.jpg

OMG!! Well done you! I'm useless with out stirrups let alone reins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And raising trot without stirrups no chance!! I'm so glad I'm a happy hacker with no aspirations!!! :laugh: :laugh: I bet you'll feel it tomorrow!!

:laugh:

Am with Jacky on this one - I have done the without reins and stirrups bit many moons ago - even jumped with no reins :) (yes, it was an awful long time ago and a one off!!! :laugh: ) But rising trot - no way!!

I can't believe it is only a year since you got Loki Clare - it feels like he has been yours forever - and isn't he doing well.

Kai looks like she is having a marvellous time! Full of beans :)

Trigger looks fantastic - what a change :)

We measured Rolo today - 14.2 and a half! He is a walking optical illusion - we were all convinced that he must be bigger than that - think it is because he is so, errrrrrrrrrrr, substantial :rolleyes:

Hope all goes well tonight Clare - it is so warm hopefully nobody can be bothered to kick up a fuss!

personally I think things like rising trot with no stirrups is rediculous. Chances are you will be squeezing, bumping and out of pace with the horse a lot more than he finds comfortable, thus making him more tense etc. Riding with no reins (In safe invironment) is ok, as you should not need them to keep your balance anyway. If you need to practuice no stirrups, ride bareback! Why make it more unfair on the poor horse than it has to be?

Kai looks fab, certainly loves her jumping :laugh: The change in Trigger is so noticeable, amazing what some TLC can do :flowers:

Poor Loki his new field "mates" gave him a hard time last night, not really bullying just herd stuff. When I left last night there was a standoff, Loki wasn't allowed down the hill to where the others were grazing, if he tried he got chased.

Arrived at the field with trepidation, to find no horses :ohmy: then some figures appeared out of the fog in the field next door :rolleyes: I think what has happened is that they have chased Loki through the fence as there was branches snapped and the fence down in the corner of the field. They came over as one group so I am hoping they have sorted themselves out and things should be ok now. Tonight they are changing fields and going to a field with tons of grass, so I hope that should keep them all out of trouble. There were no marks on Loki, but he did manged to lose a shoe.

I decided not to do the dressage but got talked into giving it a go and see how he was in the warmup, he was fine, he actually felt very chilled and happy!

He did his best in the test, I knew he was lacking in impulsion but he was so settled in my hand I didn't want to spoil it :rolleyes: We scored 60.5% which was an improvement on my last mark 58.8% and came 5th :biggrin: My testsheet pretty much said lovely test rider needs to work on accuracy, I messed up one of my circles, no excuse that was sloppy :rolleyes: and my two half 10m circles went a bit pearshaped, so I was responsible for dropping about 8 marks.

Jumping next weekend :jumpy:

Here are some pics from today, oh and no laughing at his plaits, it was my first attempt and as I didn't think I was going to do it, when I was persuaded otherwise I was running out of time!

Again he was so chilled out in the warm up, I love my horse :wub:

Warm%20up.jpg

Practising our halt, almost square, you can really see how much he still has to grow into his front end

Halt.jpg

The test itself

Test3.jpg

Test1.jpg

Test.jpg

Hmmm I have got to do something about my leg position, I am not sure when it decided to shoot forward like that :mellow:

personally I think things like rising trot with no stirrups is rediculous. Chances are you will be squeezing, bumping and out of pace with the horse a lot more than he finds comfortable, thus making him more tense etc. Riding with no reins (In safe invironment) is ok, as you should not need them to keep your balance anyway. If you need to practuice no stirrups, ride bareback! Why make it more unfair on the poor horse than it has to be?

I really dont think ash was suffering here. hes not really used for lessons much and the instructor really knows what she is doing and i wasnt bouncing around either!!!! hes a cob, very steady, sturdy and very hard to unbalance - really didnt look like he was suffering. We were on the lunge doing 1/2 circle of rising trot, 1/2 sitting trot for about 5 min or so on each rein then had stirrups back and trotting round standing up. I ride bareback as well (when i dont fall off lol) am only doing what told to do in lesson and it helps to get your leg in the correct position as well and ensure that your hips are moving forwards and backwards rather than up and down when doing rising trot. My instructor wouldnt do anything that would hurt her dressage horse - its maybe not on the scale you guys to dressage but still competes most weeks and she loves him to bits.

Loki looks absolutely stunning!! cant belive how much he has changed :wub:

Edited by phoenix21

Phoenix, I honestly didn't mean to sound like I was having a go at your personally :flowers: I mean in general, I don't see the purpose of it.

The sun is making me a bit snappy :rolleyes:

anyway, like I said if you're gonna do no stirrups, do it properly

1a9ca3ff21b62bdcd5e24151ed6cea57.jpg

(now this horse DOES look mildly pissed off, and how irresponsible was I back then? No helmet or anything :rolleyes: Picture is about 12 years old)

My point was, much is being done in the name of teaching balance etc but much of it seems to have little actual educational value in terms of building relationship, trust or indeed riding skill.

Arrgggh I am just waffling again, ignore me please, like the rest of the forum do :laugh: