UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

ahh fair enough, poor thing. You better bring those carrots out and make friends, if she is a bit funny she might not like people too close to her baby lol.... Electra is okay, but not overly keen on people fussing her foal, but Evita couldn't care less and happily gives out kisses left right and centre to anyone coming up to their stable :rolleyes:

We are getting the horses used to the grass now, which means moving them back and forth from the paddocks a couple of times a day. It was the first time for Elektra on grass yesterday, and the first time for the rest today. I had no one to help me, and everything was a bit mad and panicky because of Mitchigan (she is such a cow sometimes) but I survived and martin should be here to help me get them back down again. Horses :rolleyes: ...is all I have to say!!

Operation Foal Watch is very exciting :biggrin:

My poor boy's salivary glands were up like footballs last night, :(

Poor Jules :flowers:

I know just how your boy feels - my salivary glands block periodically - and it is far more painful that you would imagine.

The midges here have been horrific lately, so you have my sympathy on the sweet itch front too.

Sounds like he could give Nemo a run for his money on the ailments front!

Hope that he has a better summer than last year.

Very exciting foal news Jacky - will be waiting for news!

You need to be carefull if your mare is foaling, there are murderous badgers about!!! Someone in the village bought a new mare. She though the was in foal (doesn't know one end of a horse from the other!). Confirmed by the vets, so was told to move from her field to la ivery yard where it was quieter, the yard built them a foaling box. As they didn't know when she was covered they guessed the date. They waited and waited, still no foal. So the vet is called out again. His conclusion, that the foal must have been born in the field and eaten by a badger, I kid you not!!!!

Your poor boy doesn't sound like he's having much luck bless him. Minski had a bad bout of lami about 4 years ago. It took her 3 years to get over it bless her. I swear by her muzzle. She hasn't got it on yet, cos we don't have much grass yet, but it will be on at night shortly.

We had the farrier out to sort out Triggers feet today. He has laminitis., so is now muzzled until we can get it under control. The bald patched have all grown back since his de lousing. He is mat free. Next job is the teeth. Dentist comming on 9th May. He has never had tehm done so that will be fun, hope she doesn't find any horrors. Once thats done I'll be washing him with medicated shampoo to get id of the terrible dandruff. I can now walk up to hm when ever I want without any treats so a masive improvement. I'm picking up all his tack at the weekend, so as soon as his feet are a bit better I can start taking him out with the dogs when the OH is up at the weekends.

what a little spotted beauty :wub: :wub: the mummy looks awfully thin though :(

I hacked out on Prins yesterday. He is the oldenburger gelding my boss and her husband share. he is 7 years old and a complete humongous bundle of good old horse!!! He does dressage, eventing, hunting and showjumping. What ever you ask, he will do it, I reckon he'd pull a wagon if you tied him to one, but we haven't made the attempt :laugh: My boss' husband is quite tall/big (not fat) and she and myself are quite small, but it makes no difference to Prins, he is equally easy for all of us to ride.

Not a bad bone in him and he is cool as ice. I stopped by at home and Martin took our piccie :)

edited to add the pictures :rolleyes:

Prins26-04-07004.jpg

Prins26-04-07006.jpg

Prins26-04-07003.jpg

Edited by doggie mum

Oooo, lovely spotted baby!

Prins is GORGEOUS!

Went to a dressage competition on Wednesday night, unfortunately in P10 Wanda had been swapped for a donkey and was ridden by an ass! :biggrin: In P18 she did a humongus buck and followed it with a buggeroff. :biggrin: :biggrin: We won't mention the results just that we weren't last!

Sam (YO) on Obe, her immensly powerful, nervous Warmblood X played a blinder in P10! Although not an accurate test she kept him in the arena and with sympathetic and focused riding, achieved all the pace and direction changes in roughly the right place. She didn't take him into P18 as he was becoming stressed but the judge allowed her to walk him round the smaller arena just to let him have a look. A good experience for her boy who last time out trashed the areana boards, exited countless times and was asked to leave by the judge!

I'm having a knee op on Tuesday so won't be able to ride for a while. Wanda had been planning all sorts of fun activities as she thought she would be off as well. Sorry Wanda, both Sam and our instructor will be working you dear!

Edited by Pendlewitch

Beautiful spotty baby!!! :wub: :wub: I agree mum does look abit skinny.

Anne that horse is absolutely stunning..if they ever fancy a swop for a big lug of mad cob let me know and he'll be on the first boat!! :wink:

Thanks for the badger hint..but according to our local RSPCA officer Anglesey has little if no badgers left..I've only ever seen one when I used to work nights. :( Have to say I'd rather have them on the Island than not, its a shame they've pretty much been killed off.

Pendlewitch...whoops for the dressage, but loads of luck for your op. Hope it's not too long before you're back in the saddle.

Oh and no foal..she is definately in foal according to the bloods. She's actually become alot friendlier, I took her loads of treats and she had major neck scratches last night. The guy that lives opposite the field is taking his monitoring extreamly seriously..he said he's got some binocolars(sp) on his kids windowsill so he can keep checking!! :laugh: I've given him my number to , so he said he'd add it to his list!!! Think he's more excited than Liz (or he's got his eye on the foal for his children!! :wink: )

Oh Prins :wub: :wub: I was going to offer a swap with a lumpy coloured boy but Jacky has beaten me to it :mecry:

Lovely spotty foalie :wub:

Tell Wanda her dressage test sounds wonderful, much more fun to watch than the others I bet :laugh: Hope your op goes ok :flowers:

Hope the poorly horses are feeling better soon and good luck to expectant mum :flowers:

We have our first hunter trials of the season at our yard on Sunday, I am jump judging :biggrin: I feel a bit :( at missing out on the fun, I was hoping to do the one in September but I think that we are running out of time, as we haven't even started his jumping eduction, unless you count jumping shadows, and if that is anything to go by it could be an exciting journey :laugh: Oh well fingers crossed for next year!

what a little spotted beauty :wub: :wub: the mummy looks awfully thin though :(

I hacked out on Prins yesterday. He is the oldenburger gelding my boss and her husband share. he is 7 years old and a complete humongous bundle of good old horse!!! He does dressage, eventing, hunting and showjumping. What ever you ask, he will do it, I reckon he'd pull a wagon if you tied him to one, but we haven't made the attempt :laugh: My boss' husband is quite tall/big (not fat) and she and myself are quite small, but it makes no difference to Prins, he is equally easy for all of us to ride.

Not a bad bone in him and he is cool as ice. I stopped by at home and Martin took our piccie :)

edited to add the pictures :rolleyes:

Prins26-04-07004.jpg

Prins26-04-07006.jpg

Prins26-04-07003.jpg

I'm sooooo jealous Anne - Oldenburgers are my favourite all time horse - I would love one if I wouldn't look so ridiculously tiny on one!!! When I worked at the equine therapy centre a few years ago there was a stunning oldenburger in called shar - I used to get on really well with him - when you scratched his neck he used to scratch your back - then get a bit excited and pick you up by the waistband on your jeans!!! - I even got to ride him when he was up to that stage of rehab - I have never felt so much power - but he was such a good boy and amazingly well schooled - normal I expect since he is a grand prix dressage horse!!

Anne that horse is absolutely stunning..if they ever fancy a swop for a big lug of mad cob let me know and he'll be on the first boat!! :wink:

I will tell them, but don't book the ticket just yet :laugh: Same goes for you Clare :happy:

I'm sooooo jealous Anne - Oldenburgers are my favourite all time horse - I would love one if I wouldn't look so ridiculously tiny on one!!!

you mean like I do on Prins? :laugh: actually my boss who is the same height as me (160 cm) looks fine on him in the dressage saddle :) I know what you mean about them feeling powerful. Prins is relatively young and not all muscled up yet, but riding up hill in a walk is the same sensation as a good 4WD, you can't feel them working at all!! And he is so nice and wide across the back.

Wanda sounds like so much fun :biggrin: :biggrin: good luck with your knee-op :flowers:

Well I had a lovely weekend with my lad, for some reason, maybe the lessons or just because I'm spending more time with him but Kane seems to be really 'my' horse again. The last week or so he's followed my car along the drive (his field runs along side the driveway) and then been waiting at the gate for me. I did a big pooh picking session on saturday and he followed me round the field, even though his mates were off in another field. We hacked on saturday and he was as good as gold (well apart from one little silly moment on the beach but that was my fault really), I schooled him yesterday alone and again he didn't put a foot wrong, I then gave him a full wash and brush up..even trimmed his mane and forelock so he looks a stunner right now (well he always looks a stunner to me! :wub: ). So now I'm dreading going away next week, cos I hate to spoil the work I've done so far. Nevermind hopefully he'll miss me so much and realise that he's got a good mum! :huh:

Had a bit of a sort of upset...me and Lynn have decided that Danny's owner just isn't doing what she should be for him and Lynn has rang his real owners (for what they are worth!) and asked if she can take over his loan agreement, and she's even hinted that if they are interested she'll buy him from them. His loan owner has gone on holiday for a week, not even checking him before she went, not paying me for the fly rug and wormers I'd bought for him and not making arrangements for anyone to look after him (which of course she knows me and Lynn will do anyway)!! So Lynn has found a rider that came on the hack with us on saturday, she's a lovely quiet lady who really rode him nicely and she's coming to school him with me on wednesday! It's a shame but he needs more than she's giving him. Not looking forward to the fall out though!!! :(

Jacky that sounds a horrible situation, but you are all doing the most important thing and that is looking out for Danny :flowers:

Soooo pleased to hear you have had a lovely weekend with Kane :biggrin: Although where are the pictures of Kane after his beautifying, it really is mean to say he looks stunning and then not let us see :angry: :laugh:

I had a good weekend too, we "hacked" (me and Loki on foot :D ) out with a friend on Saturday, he is so good to walk in hand, much less hassle than walking Murphydog! Then on Sunday we had the huntertrails, all the horses had to stay in and I was worried how Loki would cope with hearing all the noise that goes along with these things, and as I was jump judging I couldn't keep an eye on him, but did manage to check him inbetween classes and if the empty haynet was anything to go by he wasn't phased at all :wub:

I really enjoyed the jump judging, some of the sights I saw had to be seen to be believed :rolleyes: but on the whole I loved it, I think I may have been a bit of a softy on the scoring side though :ph34r_anim:

I think we might have goodish news on the lump front, the soft swelling has gone down and now really the only thing left is the bony swelling, vet is coming this morning to x-ray so I am hoping to be able to make a positve post later :)

Glad that you and Kane had such a lovely weekend - gives me hope! :biggrin:

You are going to have to post some piccies of the tarted up Kane. :)

Think that fact that he knows and follows your car says a great deal about the bond that you have - we were only talking yesterday about how many horses are largely indifferent to their owners - recognising them only as the hay lady or the feed lady etc - Kane clealry enjoys the company of his Mum!

Good news about Danny - I know it is not a nice situation to be in, but commiting to look after a horse is not something to be taken lightly and current loaner just doesn't deserve him. New lady sounds lovely - ideal for him. Think you will have great fun together. :)

Rolo is being hacked out today while I am at work - he was turned out overnight for the first time last night - so I bet he will be shattered and probably not put a foot wrong! Hoping to have a lesson tomorrow, but my friend has only just got back from New Zealand, so may not be in the land of the living just yet!