UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

so sorry claire i do hope he gets better quickly :GroupHug:

two of our shetties went off for xrays today. Whiskey (i think i posted a pic of him a while ago) had a suspected fracture to his leg. Turned out he did and is now sporting a pic and yellow cast on his leg(so uncool) bless him. Benson has been kicked in the knee at some point and has a bony growth sort of thing on it now - the vet said if he was a big horse ie clydesdale type hed have to be pts but as hes only little he shouldnt be affected too much and can do light work. Was a lovely day again today and even managed to get burrnt :ohmy:

flies are out in force though and those with sweet itch are getting all itchy so having to hog hopefully only one of the mares manes which isnt nice but means can get pestaban right in there. the other two have quite fine manes so shouldnt be as bad.

eww lice - jacky that makes me feel all itchy!!!

edited to say - am totally lying about whiskey he didnt have a fracture but it is his cruciate ligament thats the problem - hes had his cast signed by us lol

Edited by phoenix21

Oh Clare, poor Loki, he's not having much luck at the moment is he bless him. :GroupHug: to Loki from me and the gang. We'll have everything crossed that the results are OK tomorrow.

And Phoenix21, sounds like yours aren't fairing much better poor thing, another :GroupHug: on the way.

As you may know I has been working with Kai and the horse box now that the ramp is fixed, we were gradually getting better then took a step back. She has been in the box every day this week and gradually building her up. She went for a 15min trip in it yesterday, she did rock the box a bit to start with but was fine once moving. We took her out again today and took her out the box at Chopwell Woods. You should have seen her face it was hilarious. Every time we opened before she was in the same place now she's in a carpark in the woods, eyes on stalks!!! We took her out the box and had a bit of grass and a wander round the car park, saw people, dogs and ponies, behaved like an old pro, one very proud Mummy!!!

The whole point of this intensive boxing course for Kai is that I have stupidly agreed to go on a fun ride there with the local riding club Sunday morning, what was I thinking!! One of the girls from the next door yard is going to come with us with her pony so we have some company. I can't wait. It will be Kai's first trip out to something since her only time out anywhere to a show last summer where she reared up full height every time we tried to split her and Minski up. As Minski will be at home keeping Trigger in check we dont have this problem.

Hope Benson and Whiskey are feeling better soon :flowers:

Oooh how exciting Kai's first fun ride, the weather is supposed to be lovely on Sunday you will have a ball :biggrin: Sounds like all your hard work getting her used to the horsebox is paying off, what a good girl :wub: Hope there are pictures :biggrin:

We were supposed to be doing our first sponsored ride at the end of April, heyho :mellow:

Eeewww lice, I am itchy just thinking about it :laugh:

Yes it is the one near Newcastle, we live in Greenside just up the road. Where does your sister live? Small world!!!!

I think the OH is comming as well to give us a hand so I'll get him to take some pictures if he comes, if not I'll get a few before we set off. Mind you I'll be hiding behind Kai when he takes them LOL. I just hope she manages to keep all 4 feet on the ground, otherwise you might be getting pictures of her belly dancing routine!!! I am taking her in her Market Harborough, I just have it on lose but it stops her head going so far up that she can rear, so hopng she should be OK.

Clare I'm sure you'll be out with him in no time. Have you heard anything from the vets yet?

We have also had a lice day today, I managed to get hold of Trigger again, he is getting a bit better, so we've been do lousing him, ah what fun. Not sure if he has lice or not but as his coat is such a mess I decided to cover all bases, next step will be giving him a medicated shampoo. He is never going to speak to me again!!!!

The whole point of this intensive boxing course for Kai is that I have stupidly agreed to go on a fun ride there with the local riding club Sunday morning, what was I thinking!! One of the girls from the next door yard is going to come with us with her pony so we have some company. I can't wait. It will be Kai's first trip out to something since her only time out anywhere to a show last summer where she reared up full height every time we tried to split her and Minski up. As Minski will be at home keeping Trigger in check we dont have this problem.

I did my first fun ride with Kane last summer!! I was absolutely terrified for weeks before! I hadn't a clue how he'd react to other horses, if he'd bolt or if he'd just go into complete panic mode and chuck me off!! He was a star!! He was extreamly excited at the beginning, not helped by 2 women who asked to join our group because we looked 'sensible'!!!!!!!!!!! Turns out their horses were spook monsters and wound all ours up!!! :angry: I even did 5 jumps!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: You'll really enjoy it!! I can't wait for them to start again here!!

Edited by JACKYSIAN

The verdict is in and it is a bit inconclusive really :unsure:

The problem is not with the previous extraction, that is doing very well indeed and he has no concerns with that :)

He does however have concerns regarding the tooth next to it, the infection in the removed tooth seems to have spread to this tooth. He really really does not want to remove this tooth as well, so the plan is he will have 7 days of intensive intravenous antiobiotics, of which he has already had 4 days worth. He should be allowed home on Tuesday to continue three weeks of oral antibiotics. This may sort the problem, or once the antibiotics have finished it may all return and he will need to go back to hospital for surgery, either tooth removal or another procedure which involves filling the tooth sideways, very rare procedure only a few done in this country, so we all know what is he going to have done don't we :rolleyes: :laugh:

So although it is great be should he home next week, it has kind of left me feeling that we are dealing with a time bomb :unsure:

The swelling is still there but that is to be expected with a boney swelling, he is eating and drinking ok now, I do worry what he will be like once the mega strength drugs are out of his system. May be I am just being pesimistic but I don't feel we have got to the bottom of it.

His bloods were ok except for one liver function and they will redo those before he comes home.

All in all I feel a bit :eh:

Off to visit him bright and early tomorrow, off to Tescos after work to buy lots of yummy things for him :biggrin:

I think that sounds OK too Clare, hopefully the mega-wap of antibiotics should sort out the secondary tooth infection, poor Loki he has been in the wars.

:GroupHug: to you Clare, I am sure things will be fine with Loki, but he is turning out to be one expensive horse!

He sounds just like Minski used to be. I'm sure she used to fancy the vet because so had everything under the sun and everything she got she had to have all the worst complcations possible!! She claimed off the insurance so many times in the first 3 years the refused to insure her! We've got everything crossed the antibiotics work.

We took Kai out for a test drive round the woods today. Just a short walk, we took one of the dogs who loves all the mud up there. Anyway here are a couple of picies, I'll try and get a few on Sunday if I stay on long enough!! I didn't find out about the ride till Monday night, so lunckily we haven't had time to stress over it too long. Anyway, here is me trying to look like I know what I'm doing on Kai!!

P4040027.jpg

P4040026.jpg

P4040024.jpg

Yes it is the one near Newcastle, we live in Greenside just up the road. Where does your sister live? Small world!!!!

my sister is in Rowlands Gill - really lovely area, have walked the dogs in chopwell woods a few times.

Think im in love with Kai - love steel greys :wub: :wub:

took maggie down to close the gate at the bottom of the field yesterday bareback. Thought she was quite bouncy trotting down but ive ridden her bareback before when she had a rug on and she was fine. Jumped back on after closing the gate and i dont know if i wasnt on properly or what but next thing i know shes leaping forwards into canter and i plopped off the side lol. The manager did warn me she might buck but i dont think i even got as far as that! had to do the walk of shame back up the field to the stables where maggie was there waiting for me :blush02:

Edited by phoenix21

just posted a reply but must have hit the wrong button as not here! oh well never mind. Went out for ride today on day off and took the horses that hadnt done much work as its been manic this week with holidays and the horses need a rest. Took lola, milly and mason out. Milly and lola are only ridden by the staff as only 5ish and still learning. Mason came on monday so very new! They were all very good - i was sure it would be a disaster!! here are some pics anyway

amber having a good old roll....

horseys003-1.jpg

pretty pesata

horseys005.jpg

tango - cheeky shettie sunbathing

horseys007.jpg

digby at front with ginger and pepper to the left and barney (bay), maggie and ice to right

horseys001.jpg

lola - absolutely gorgeous girly

horseys012.jpg

me and mason

horseys017.jpg

did every one have a good bank holiday? How is loki? hope hes doing ok :GroupHug: and mist where are those pics!!? (and jacky - although i did see a kane pic sneaked into doggy chat and he was looking lovely)

ps i look very big on mason but photo was taken by alison who was on lola (16hh) compared to about 13.2hh mason!!

Edited by phoenix21

Kai looks gorgeous :wub: and that ride through the woods looks pretty lovely too.

Phoenix21, your pics are fab too.

We took Frant & Finn out for a hack today - well, a trespass actually :ohmy: - but fabulous riding which is just begging to be trespassed on :laugh: Finn was very good, Frant decided to get himself into a muck sweat with the excitement - no idea what he was excited about because we only walked :rolleyes: No piccies I'm afraid because I didn't want to wear a jacket so had no pockets for a camera. I'll try to get some piccies on Sunday when Sarah rides out with Sue.