UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

15 Seconds?!

lucyandmeg

In a moment of boredom at work i decided to look at the world seedings and couldn't believe that so many american and canadian teams have gone sub 17 seconds! :ohmy: I thought our fast time of 18.16 was good, thats nothing compared to over there with a fast time of between 15 and 16 seconds!

What i don't understand is how they do it? Why can we not find so many fast dogs in this country? WHat do they do differntly?

And the amazing thing is that the teams don't tend to be all collie, one team I read about had a jack russell in it.

We are going to Canada skiing next January and hoping to do a side trip (about 400 miles!!!) to Edmonton to meet one of their top teams to try and get some tips.

i like the theory Jayne

what about they feed lots of colourings and preservatives so there dogs are totally hyper :D

i dont know really how they can get them going so fast

i wonder if they are much more competetive and lost the element of fun ?

• 5 months later...

I think that these really fast 15 second teams probably treat their dogs as racing machines more than pets, a bit like a racing greyhound owner. I know alot of them breed dogs especially for flyball and no doubt they have a very regimented fitness and training programme. I love my dogs and I love the fact that they enjoy flyball but I would always want them to be my pets first and flyball be our hobby , if they run a bit faster from all of their tearing round the park and swimming in the river then thats a bonus :biggrin:

We went to a tournament in Canada this year and it is all on the box. All the people I spoke to treated their dogs as very much loved pets, with many rescues amongst them.

They did not care about change overs, they were crap compared to ours but the box work was amazing. Every warm up a jump was put in front of the box and all the dogs practices their turns, they just bounced of them, there are very few dogs over here who can turn like them.

We have just started training with a jump in front of the box so if you see the Hotshots get a time of 15 seconds in the near future you know why (in my dreams :laughingsmiley:) Although talking of dreams my OH has dreamt twice in the last week that our team got a time of 16 seconds so maybe it's a vision of what is to come :biggrin:

We went to a tournament in Canada this year and it is all on the box. All the people I spoke to treated their dogs as very much loved pets, with many rescues amongst them.

They did not care about change overs, they were crap compared to ours but the box work was amazing. Every warm up a jump was put in front of the box and all the dogs practices their turns, they just bounced of them, there are very few dogs over here who can turn like them.

This is a good clip showing that way of getting the turn on the box Link here :)

Lynda

• 4 weeks later...