UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Mange Mite, Its Back. What Else Can I Do For George?

bebe

Poor George was licking at his groin again tonight, and its red and sore, it looks like the Mange mites are back, after 9 months of relief from them :(

Last time he had them, the vet gave me an antibacterial wash thing for him, and advised Stronghold. I dont like giving him flea treatments like that, but I did, and used the wash, and it cleared it up, but its obviously not getting to the root of the problem if it comes back. Im not keen to give him Stronghold, and the wash (I still have some) is difficult to do as I cant lift him into the bath with my back, and he struggles, he hates it, so I want to give him something natural, especially to ease the itching and soreness. Ive got homeopathic stuff for his immune system to boost it, but is there anything else I can give him to A) Kill the mites, and B) ease his skin ?

Would Neem oil help? :unsure:

There's a fabulous homoeopathic remedy which is used to treat mange in foxes. It is a combination of arsenicum album and sulphur which together kill the mites and heal the skin. I've personally seen it work wonders and cure mange every bit as effectively as veterinary treatments but in a much gentler way. You could probably get it from any homoeopath but for sake of ease you could just ask the National Fox Welfare Society to send you some which I'm sure they'd be happy to do in return for a donation.

Website is www.nfws.org.uk

There's a fabulous homoeopathic remedy which is used to treat mange in foxes. It is a combination of arsenicum album and sulphur which together kill the mites and heal the skin. I've personally seen it work wonders and cure mange every bit as effectively as veterinary treatments but in a much gentler way. You could probably get it from any homoeopath but for sake of ease you could just ask the National Fox Welfare Society to send you some which I'm sure they'd be happy to do in return for a donation.

Website is www.nfws.org.uk

Ohhhhhh, thanks sproggie, thats a brilliant idea, I,ll do that, thanks a lot :flowers:

Sorry bebe, no idea. But for tonight, do you have any AloeVera?? That can soothe sore skin and cool it down to relieve George for now.

Kazz xx

No, I havnt Kazz, but Ive put some sudacream on it just for tonight, and it seems cooler, I,ll go to boots tomorrow and get some though, Ive used that before but forgot aboutthat, Thanks. :flowers:

Icle Boysie CB's friend has Demondex mites and I went up to Ainsworth's homeopathic chemist to pick up some stuff for him. His Mum Lucy had phoned them and asked what to give him, I had to get some stuff myself so picked up hers as well.

They have given PSORINUM for Boysie.

The vets wanted Boysie to go to them 4 times for baths, each bath costing £120.00 and they are very toxic baths.

Lucy is a great believer in Homeopathy as am I so I will let you know how Boysie gets on.

Just to add homeopathic tablets should not be swallowed whole.

Either suck them or chew them.

When giving to an animal - crush them and put in a treat or crush finely and put in fag paper and put straight onto tongue.

Edited by Kathyw

Kathy, I've always just popped Homeopathic tablets in the dog's mouth or offered them on a dish and they take them whole, they still work :wink: 'They' say it's ideal to suck them, but they work just about anyway, even dropped on my hand and taken from there :ohmy: :wink: I'm with George MacLeod in that the best way is whatever is least stressful to the animal.

I'd also boost the immune system with echinacea, vit c, garlic etc to help both dogs fight off their infections quickly. Hope both are well soon, Reiki on the way if wanted.

I have had the pleasure of actually meeting George Macleod, he treated my Maxie after her accident.

We went to his surgery in West Sussex.

When he passed over his practise was taken over by a lady who was nice but not as good imo as George Macleod was. :(

The Homeopathic Hospital in London always tells you to chew/suck or crush the tablets, never to swallow them whole, I usually crush with a pestle and put into a treat.

Mr Macleod sent Maxie meds in powder form, already crushed and in small paper packets, I just offered her a treat and as her mouth opened i put the powder onto her tongue and it ort of disscolved on the tongue. He was a wonder vet.

Edited by Kathyw

oh wow, you are fortunate to have known him :biggrin: I just have the book :wink: Must admit I suck mine until I get fed up, then chew & swallow :wink: With the dogs it's been a case of how they best tolerate them, I'm just glad they do still work even taken in less than ideal ways :wink: Have to admit, I haven't tried crushing and putting on tongues as I'd half expect it to end up on the floor, but have crushed and added to water, and have been known to add to bland food, but usually allow dog to choose - they're amazing at knowing whether it's right for them at the time.

Edited by Muriel

Ive got echinacea, put they are soooo tiny I couldnt crush them anyway, so I just put them in Georges food. I hope thats ok, dont want to waste money doing it wrong and it not work. The actuall redness seems to be gone, I couldnt lift him to bath him so I just bathed the sore bits with selsun :unsure: , it seems to have done the trick though.

Do I need to get the PSORINUM from a vet, or does Rainbow Remedies or Vetpet do them on the internet?

Just googled and this came up, so Im going to order some, Ive already got the sulpher and the echinacea, so I,ll try that too, thanks Kathy and Muriel :flowers: I didnt think George was "unhealthy" though :( I dont like that...

The Demodectic mange mite lives deep in the skin and is probably found in many species but is not normally a problem unless the animal in unhealthy and so has poor resistance or immunity.

It is fairly common in young dogs causing pimples and sometimes slight irritation which he will usually grow out of. Sometimes however it can spread and cause irritation and infection by bacteria may follow. If your dog gets severe generalised mange it is best to get the services of your vet.

Good raw food based nutrition is essential with added zinc (10 to 30mg depending on size) (pumpkin seeds are a good source), vitamins C and E. to help your companion heal himself.

Echinacea will help boost the immune system in addition give 2 to 3 times daily. The amount depending on the preparation type. We can supply tablets or tincture

The following homeopathic remedies can help:

If your companion is itchy with an oily smelly coat try Sulphur or Psorinum 30 c twice daily for 3 days. Use sulphur if he seems to be hot and seeks a cool spot to sit in, psorinum for a chillier dog. Silicea is a good start for the less smelly cases.

Edited by bebe