UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Lump/hernia?

SDS

Flo was spayed about 6 weeks ago. All went well, wound healed, stitches removed 14 days later, but all of a sudden a golf ball size lump has appeared at the wound site. She is going to the vets tomorrow to have it checked out.

I've had a quick scan on the internet but all I came up with is something to do with the stitches inside coming away. Apparently this can happen in dogs who are especially active. When she had the op we followed all aftercare instructions to the letter and played 'indoor' dog games etc to keep her mind active. No runs in the field, no agility and gentle lead walks. When we were given the all clear to go back to her normal routine, we still maintained some restrictions on her exercise routine. Flo is a typical border collie who wants to be on the go but I really don't think I could have done anymore to keep her calmer during her convalescing period.

Has anybody else experienced this?

Is it soft to touch and round? If so probably is a slight hernia tho iirc its normally something that appears sooner than 6 weeks?. If its hard and runs along the whole legnth of the cut if is often where its healing inside and should settle. Def get her looked at just to be sure tho :flowers:

The lump is quite hard and about an 1" in diameter. I can't work out why its come up now all of a sudden when Flo has done nothing different in any way. It certainly isn't hot or red and Flo is her normal self.

Have appointment with the vet later today. :(

Not the news I was expecting. I think I had convinced myself that it was to do with a hernia or the healing process.

Vet says that it is not a hernia and wants to open her up and take a look. I did ask if it could be anything sinister and she says that she couldn't rule anything out until she had seen what was going on inside. :(

Life is c**p at the moment, and just when you think that is it, something else gets thrown at you.

I'll post tomorrow after I know what is happening.

Just received a phone call from the vets. They decided to get in another vet for a second opinion. He thinks that she could have reacted to the internal stitches, even though its been about 6 weeks since her spaying op. They haven't opened her up and gave her sedation to have a good feel of the lump. She is coming home later today with antibiotics and is going back in a couple of days for another check.

So pleased they didn't have to open her up again and give her a full anaesthetic. Fingers crossed that this is definately the cause and the antibiotics will clear things up.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts