UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

New Greyhound Welfare Group

Nettie

Oct Issue of Greyhound Star wrote:

GREYHOUND VOICE, a new greyhound welfare group, held its inaugural meeting at Henlow in mid September.

Welfare groups come and go but this particular forum is packed of big hitters. Its committee includes a string of top trainers including Charlie Lister, Jim Reynolds, and Mick Puzey, several long term greyhound owners and even Walthamstow vet Richard Lockyer.

Former champion trainer Linda Jones was elected chairperson.

The organisation spent little time pontificating before choosing its first 'action' - to file a submission to the Goverment enquiry which was set up to review the greyhound industry following the Seaham scandal.

Linda said: "We are a group of people who passionately love groyhounds and greyhound racing and we want the best for the dogs in terms of welfare matters. "We are totally independent of all greyhound authorities and committees. "Our aims are to highlight issues directly or indirectly associated with greyhound welfare that the committee agree are in need of improvement. "To come up with recomendations to solve or improve the highlighted current problems and deficiences. "Our main short term aim is to produce an interim report to the Associate Parlimamentary Group for Animal Welfare by the 'call for written evidence' deadline of 11 October 2006. "We want this report to include various ideas and proposals to improve greyhound welfare from cradle to grave. "The report will be representative of both the public's opinions and those of the committee members. "In order to meet this deadline we need the publics help as a matter of urgency. "We ask that, if you have any views on greyhound welfare and, in particular, ideas and suggestions to improve any aspect of greyhound welfare, you e-mail or write to us with your thoughts, concerns, ideas and suggestions for improvement. "It would be most helpful if this could be done as a matter of urgency, preferably this week, so that all ideas can be considered and the report completed by the deadline. "We felt that our committee lacked representation from kennel head lads or lasses and, as these people are the sports future, we would like any kennel head lad/lass to contact us with a view to joining our committee. You can either speak directly to a committee member or via the contact details below.

CONTACT INFO FOR "GREYHOUND VOICE"

Postal Address - 13 Mark Avenue, Chingford, London, E4 7NR

E- Mail Address - [email protected]

So do you think the "Voice" for Greyhounds might be as apt as the "Sanctuary" for Animals?

:unsure: :laugh:

Dunno, but its something I read elsewhere and just thought I'd see if anyone had heard of them, mind you they did have their inaugral meeting this month, could just be a pr stunt for the industry. However, I don't know them or the people involved in setting it up so don't know, the only thing I know which is in the article is that they are involved in the industry.

Edited by Nettie

Dunno, but its something I read elsewhere and just thought I'd see if anyone had heard of them, mind you they did have their inaugral meeting this month, could just be a pr stunt for the industry. However, I don't know them or the people involved in setting it up so don't know, the only thing I know which is in the article is that they are involved in the industry.

I won't be writing to them with my opinions. If I have info I will send it directly to the APGAW group. Are they going to tell us all what they will be submitting to APGAW? I dont think so :laugh:

I think the industry is getting seriously rattled. They are terrified of losing their self-regulation. That would uncover some hideous truths.

We know they are governed by the profit motive ...........and so I don't believe a word they say. It's cover up and try to look squeaky clean time. :angry:

And I'm not going to help them by sending them info so they can see what 'antis' have to say, and then fashion some counter argument.

• 1 month later...

Is it just me but is anyone else surprised at how much they are addressing?

I have never heard anyone involved with the racing industry address issues such as breeding & Rule 18 in a critical way before.

They obviously know these problems exist, I just haven't heard anyone publically admit it before.