UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Greyhounds And Flyball

agilitymad

Hi

I would like to start flyball with my Greyhound Oni who will be one next month she is not a big greyhound standing at 25inch and not as long. :)

She just loves chasing balls and has a great recall. :)

My other dog Lucky has been doing flyball for 6mths and just loves it. :)

i was just wondering whether anyone on here does flyball with there greyhounds and whether they had any problems with training etc. :)

thanks

Not seen any greys in flyball but there are plenty of lurchers. One of the fastest dogs in the country is Kobi, who I think is half grey and has a similar build. There is also a very fast whippity type dog who has taken a while to get running properly but is brilliant when doing it right.

I also run my lurcher (saluki cross) but he has lost interest at the moment. I found that it took longer for him to stop so it involved far more running for me to the end of the ring to get him.

I think if he likes his tennis ball and has a good recall I cannot see any reason why he shouldn't do it.

I don't think the jumps should be too much of a problem if they have foam on the tops and he will be going over 8 in to start with.

I have found with Bertie that he is happier over the bigger jumps as he finds it difficult to get his stride when he doesn't really need to jump over little ones.

Interestinly having just been on the BFA website, there are no records of any freyhounds getting points or awards, so any that do run must only run in starters. THeres only 1 whippet with points too. I presume any pointy dogs that do tend to run are lurchers, as most greyhounds are quite laid back. THeres certainly no harm in trying though. I most dogs can do it if they really want to, the motivation is the key. I imagine its quite hard to train any pointy dog to do a swimmers turn though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Oni is starting Flyball on Monday :ohno02:

I think my instructor is dreading it though, as she is so fast and a bit of a wimp if she knocks herself :laugh:

but i know that she will just love it as she just loves chasing those balls. :rolleyes:

i will let you all know how she gets on.

oniface.jpg

Edited by agilitymad

Cushna started to do it (was actually quite good), but unfortunately we stopped going, because we couldn't get there regularly due to other commitments :( .

She was good enough that they phone us up quite a few times to try and arrange the classes around her. :D

(Although I do have to confess that her favourite occupation was stealing the ball and racing off with it, with as many of the other dogs as possible in persuit :laugh: ).

Edited by kats n greys

Well Oni had a wonderfull time at flyball yesterday :wub:

She ran down the line of flyball jumps to warm up with out hitting her legs at 100 miles an hour then did a lap of honour around the indoor school and then came back to me for a sausage :laugh:

then we throw the ball down the line of jumps half way and she went down picked up the ball and ran back up to me then did another lap of the indoor school (i think she was really excited by know) Then lost the plot completly so we put her back in the car untill next week :) As she is only just over 1yr i thought she had done enough for her first time. :)

Sorry no pictures as she was too quick for the camera :ohmy:

got home and she slept all night and is still sleepy know which is good as by this time she is normally chasing Lucky up and down the living room :laugh: