UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Citronella Collars

Kathyw

1. The government sets a speed limit. You speed, you get a ticket. You do not get praised for staying within the speed limit, however. Do you still speed?

Yes, they do, frequently! The punishment (ticket) is too late and not severe enough to put most people off. Most will stay within the limits when directly monitored (cameras), but how many cars do you actually see within the speed limits unless there is rush hour traffic or congestions? Not many!

If however people got £100 every time they were "caught" WITHIN the speed limit, I am sure the success rate of cutting down on speeding would be a lot higher than it is currently!

Dog is slightly hungry and has figured out that if he barks outrageously at somone, his handler will bring out the treats... does he still bark?

Yes, if he gets rewarded for the barking... that's why the timing is crucial! When the dog is called, the dog is then rewarded for taking attention away from the object and for focusing on the owner... only THEN is the treat given, not whilst the dog is still barking and focusing on the owner.

HOWEVER, if the dog even starts barking, the handler was not attentive enough to call the dog out of the situation before it even developped. That's why I am saying that the dog needs to be treated AS SOON as a person appears and is spotted by the dog. This means that the owner doesn't wait until a reaction happens, but reacts before that (and with enough distance so the dog can cope) and turns the person into a cue to look at and focus on the owner. It is then that behaviour - focussing on owner and take attention away from object - that is rewarded, not the barking!

The timing is crucial otherwise you are right, the unwanted behaviour is rewarded or turned into superstitious behaviour (behaviour which needs to happen before the behaviour that gets ultimately rewarded).

Vera

Edited by LurcherGirl

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For whatever reason, Kathy doesn't want to see a behaviourist with CB. That's her choice and although it's not necessarily something others agree with with, he's her dog and she knows him best. Personally I would take him to one and Kathy knows this, but none of us can make that decision for her. Some of the replies on this thread have been downright rude. No matter what you think [and Yes I know she asked for advice] you don't have to be aggressive.

Kathy, a lot of the replies make sense, rethink the behaviourist idea, I'm certain someone on here can recommend a good one [perhaps a woman if he's scared of men?]. Also, I hope Diana can help you :flowers:

I agree with Mel that some of the replies on here are downright rude and aggressive and frankly I have been shocked at some of you. You might not agree with the direction Kathy appears to be going in but surely people could find a less aggressive way of communicating this to her :unsure:

Marion

Right I have now read this thread completely and agree that some of the responses have been rude not to mention judgemental, it might perhaps be useful if everyone took a step back and see how they'd feel to be on the receiving end of some of these posts.

If positive reinforcement and reward based methods are the way to go, perhaps that should equally apply when posting advice... something to think about.

If the thread continues in this manner it'll be closed.

can someone point me towards these agressive replies please?

I agree. There wasn't a problem with people saying strongly how they feel when it was a medical problem recently. Somebody didn't want to see a professional and do it their way, others felt it wasn't fair on the dog and the poster was lynched. Why is that ok? Are we supposed to treat people differently depending on who they are?

The fact is this is somthing that I, and others feel very strongly about. This topic has been discussed at great length not only on this thread but on others, and people have tried politely to say how they feel but have been ignored.

I'm sorry if my replies were seen as rude or aggressive, but I feel very frustrated that people who have dealt with behaviour problems with their own dogs, plus studied behaviour at length are being ignored. I'm not prepared to apologise for my opinions or the fact that I find the approach being taken unfair on CB.

I can only answer for myself and say if any of my replies have been to harsh, it comes from the frustration I have felt over this particular thread. I have always have deep respect for Kathy and the way she has treated her animals, and Kathy to me have always stood out as someone who placed animals before people, and that is why her approach to Charlies problems have stunned me to the degree they have. I will walk away from this now (for real this time :rolleyes: ) having learned something new about someone I thought I knew, I guess that is life in a nutshell, you never really know people.

Good luck to Charlie Barley.