UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Training Book

batmobile

I can't remember the name of the book or the author but my friends who'v just bought a puppy (see general chat) bought a training book on holiday which I got hold of and it bothered me a bit. I don't really know why as it was nothing extreme but the guy annoyed me. However, I am wondering if he is a renowned trainer who is loved by all of you and his methods are fine. It was a small book called something like Introduction to Dog training and behaviour and he had a 21 day guide to training your dog, all tied in with dog's natural behaviours. There was no clicker training in it and it would state whether the methods were puppy safe etc. Any ideas? He himself has several dogs and was *I think* a police dog trainer at some point. Part of my problem was that it is the only book they bought, i would have bought a puppy one first as they know nothing about puppies. Anyway, any clue?

Thanks.

This sounds to me to be the book by Colin Tennant :angry: .

Tell your friend to use the book as a 'door stop' only :wink: That is it's only real use.

Here are a list of more appropriate authors

Anything by

Gwenn Bailey (readily available in bookshops or Amazon)

Ian Dunbar

Bruce Fogle (readily available in bookshops)

Both Your Dog Mag and Dog's Today mag run series on puppies and will have lots of useful info - the latest issues will be coming out about now in Newsagents (probably the larger ones).

There are others but I've pitched it at a level that will be easy for your friend to understand otherwise they will be too techy and mindblowing.

Tell your friend not to ditch the book but to use it to help her understand the difference in the trainig methods and theory. CT is very much based on Pack Leader drivel - your dog is really a wolf in disguise and bears heavily on the dominance hierarchy that your dog is about to rule and take over the household. When if fact it is a little more complicated than that.

Hope this helps - and whew - well done you for noticing!!!!

Sandra :wink:

Colin Tennant. That's the man. didn't like him one bit but was too scared to say in case he was like a God of training or something :D :biggrin: Seriously though, I thought his methods were terrible and his theories, although perhaps based in evolution, are so generalised it made me a bit mad. Besides, anyone who goes on about treating his dogs the way he does (basically show off show off show off, no fun EVER) is a bit too intense, especially if we're talking puppies. I am all for a well trained dog but lines like 'If you let them on the sofa STOP. It means they are as high as you. Return them to the ground where they belong'....Please!

Thanks for the tips, will pass them on. I will use thei book as a writing rest in future. :angry: :biggrin:

Then explain why my dogs fight over the top step of the stairs? And get quite tetchy about it too.... not being argumentative, but genuinely wondering...

Im000369.jpg

I don't believe that the wolf thing is the be all and end all of dog training, but I do believe that a dog must respect you before it will work for you...