UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Snoopy Has A Tick

Hayley

do you have any frontline if so squirt the area it should just fall off

I've got a vial of Frontline Spot On Large Dog but I've read that applying it to the tick may make the tick angry causing it to release something nasty into the bloodstream :ohmy:

Have decided take her to the Vet first thing to get a tick removal tool and a demonstration of how to use it :) , will also get some more Frontline.

Oops, posted at same time, you weren't no use :flowers: I'm probably just worrying too much but Snoopy is an oldie :wub: so I am especially worried.

I have read so many conflicting views on how to treat but the thing that seems to come up as the best is the removal tool, plus I want to check my new Vet out. I registered over the phone but haven't needed to see him yet since I moved house.

Edited by Hayley

Vivian started this thread a while back - don't know if there's anything of use there, if you don't have a tick remover :unsure:

Thank you - I did a search and found that :flowers: It is very informative regarding what not to do and also includes the removal tool recommendation - the cotton loop idea looked worth a try but I'd still be worried that I'd leave the head behind :ohmy:

You can paint the tick with nail polish (use dark and then you can see the area) it then can't breath and will just fall off :ohmy:

Thank You :flowers: Yes I did read that but I also read that it may cause the tick to release saliva or regurgitate into the bloodstream of the host and lead to infection :ohmy:

The tick has been removed!! It left a bruise the size of a penny so we have some Fuciderm cream for that.

And I'm glad I went to the Vet to have it done because I've decided that I don't like the new practice that I registered them at - the facilities are not as good and it is dearer - £30.33 for a 1st consultation compared with £22.88 at the old place :evil: They also prescribe Milbemax as the wormer of choice and it is in Teddy's adoption paperwork from Wiccs that it should not be used on collies.

We did not have enough money to pay the bill which came to £118 so I waited while OH went to get more money. They were openly discussing us within earshot saying things like ' I bet they don't come back'.

I have now telephoned my old Vet and reregistered. :)

I got the all important tick removal tool

Glad the tick was removed from Snoopy :biggrin:

am I reading your post right :unsure: you went in for a tick to be removed and ended up with a £118 bill :huh:

Ooh no sorry, Teddy also had a check up. For £118 we got the following

2 X Consultations (one for Teddy, one for Snoopy)

4 X Drontal Worming Tablets

1 tube Fuciderm for the tick bruise

The all important tick removal tool

180 Glucosamine tablets for Teddy's stiff back legs

3 pipettes of Large Dog Spot On Frontline

I was going to get the Frontline and Drontal online but kind of got swept along as the Vet said 'I'll give you some of this, that, etc'

Still, will return to the old Vet next time because even after fuel costs they still work out cheaper and are a far friendlier bunch

Ooh no sorry, Teddy also had a check up. For £118 we got the following

2 X Consultations (one for Teddy, one for Snoopy)

4 X Drontal Worming Tablets

1 tube Fuciderm for the tick bruise

The all important tick removal tool

180 Glucosamine tablets for Teddy's stiff back legs

3 pipettes of Large Dog Spot On Frontline

I was going to get the Frontline and Drontal online but kind of got swept along as the Vet said 'I'll give you some of this, that, etc'

Still, will return to the old Vet next time because even after fuel costs they still work out cheaper and are a far friendlier bunch

phew :laugh: :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

At my vets for tick removal the nurse will do a free consultation and only charge for the tick removal, about £6-7 I think. A whole consultation fee for a simple tick removal seems pretty extreme.

Good on you for reregistering with your old vet, I wouldn't stand for that sort of thing being said within my earshot!! :mad:

RE ticks, you shouldn't put anything on them to try and get them off as they can regurgitate their stomach contents into the bloodstream with allsorts of lurgies. Its always better to use a tick remover/tweezers or a tick fanatic mother... :unsure: :laugh:

Ticks will eventually fall off too so if you really can't get them off don't worry too much but it is better to remove them before they can feed too much etc.