UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

123-reg

Hayley

Hi There

Is anyone else having trouble with 123-reg in terms of updating their web page?

We have moved and changed phone number, etc and are trying to update the page accordingly but the site bulider area appears to be unavailable. :unsure:

123 are aware and have a message to say that some users are experiencing problems that are being addressed, but it has gone on for a while now (at least 4 weeks) and all that seems to happen is that 123 change the date of the message to make it appear to be a recent problem :mad:

The most annoying thing is that we had just paid our annual subscription when the problems started and they won't refund us.

Any suggestions most welcome

Is that the only way you can access your site? I'm afraid 123 have a dreadful reputation for unreliability and very very bad customer service and support (or rather no support). I tend to advise people to steer well clear of them unless they are soley registering a domain (and even then there are better registrars out there.)

Can you access your domain control panel or is it just the site builder?

Have a look through their FAQ's and see if there are other ways that you can upload new pages to the site, this could be via ftp or a direct upload through your browser. If they offer an alternative, let me know what type and I'll see what I can do to talk you thru it.

Thank you for your reply :)

It is site builder that cannot be accessed and there doesn't appear to be any other way of uploading new pages.

Out of interest, who would you recommend? - the last time someone asked, lots of fugees (including me) said 123-reg :ohmy: I wonder if anyone else is having trouble now.

At this rate I think we will have to cut our losses and transfer the domain name to another company.

We are Mac users - not sure if that makes any difference. We used a PC in the library today and still had no luck with 123.

Well personally for domain registration and management I use GoDaddy and have for about 5 or 6 years now they were one of the first to offer private registrations and that used to be a premium price but nowadays is very good value for money.

For hosting I personally use Dreamhost .. however... Dreamhost has an expectation that you know a little about managing a website so there's no "site builder" you'd need to design and build the site on your pc/mac then ftp it up when it's done. (You can also browser upload but thats slower and not as efficient).

I recently suggested to someone to look at the Yahoo Geocities paid option as it was on special offer and as thats a point and click site builder based it can be a good way to start, however they too have had a few problems with the site building tools, the problem is that when you rely on building your site "remotely" with someone else's tools you are completely dependant upon them providing you with access when you want/need it, and you won't always get it.

You don't need to transfer the domain name to another registrar provided you can access the 123 control panel, all you have to do is set the domain name servers to point to the new hosting company.

It was me that asked last time and 123 was the most recommended so I went with them, only to find out they don't do the private address registration thing, although I thought from reading their t&c that they did. So I'm going to look at transferring it at some point I think.

I've since used GoDaddy and am very happy with them, would certainly recommend them - so thanks Snow for suggesting them :flowers:

The thing when choosing a new webhost is to check them out, good deals aren't always what they appear to be especially with shared hosting, all companies "oversell" including Dreamhost, but some oversell so much that their servers are so overloaded that your sites are slow loading, consistantly crashing or they hit you with huge charges for overage. webhostingtalk.com is a good place to check out any hosts that you are considering. If you do a search there for dreamhost you'll find mixed reviews, some people love them, some don't, but over all their reputation is climbing.

What I love about them which ironically some people find irritating, is that they do not take themselves seriously, the newsletter frequently cracks me up laughing, they come across as a bunch of "hippy geeks" having a blast, and I find that refreshing. They are also refreshingly candid about the services they offer, this is their own blog http://blog.dreamhost.com/dreamhost-information/ look under rants for their comments on overselling. (Useful too if you don't know what overselling is and how it affects any service a host is offering).

Here are some user reviews : http://www.webhostingjury.com/reviews/DreamHost

Now up front I will state yes I do get a "commission" if people sign up with Dreamhost using a referal link from me which is why I haven't posted one *laughs* however, again this is useful because last year I upgraded my account to 3 times the space I had the year before and it would have normally cost me an extra £150 to do so, it cost me nothing because of the "rewards" I had earned from satisfied referals. This applies to everyone with an account so you really can end up with free hosting. Referals don't kick in until the 97 day money back guarantee period has expired so people can try them "risk free".

If anyone IS considering hosting and wants to try dreamhost, feel free to pm me, I can then issue you with a referal link through which I can actually discount their prices for you even more.

I have brought 2 domains from 123 reg and I am to stupid to know what to do next ( really )

is there an online guide that explains things like using the email address of your domain and well actually making your page and stuff work

if it was written in really small words and had pictures as well that would be a bonus for me

Thanks Sam

Hi Sam

with 123 you seem to get free mail forwarding included in the price this means that any emails sent to an email addy you set up on the domain will be forwarded direct to an email account you already have such as your isp one or even hotmail.

They have a how to here: http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/trouble.p...il%20Forwarding

it even has pictures :laugh:

Similarly they have a how to on building the site in the faq's: http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/trouble.p...&from_faq=1

Ok Hayely it seems that if you are using site builder you cannot update your website any other way, the way round it is to download/webstrip your site to your pc and rebuild it using a web design program like front page, dreamweaver or something similar, and transfer to another web host.

I have never seen anything like the totally unnecessary b/s they make you go thru to change your dns servers

In your shoes personally I'd be webstripping the site, biting the bullet over down time, transfering the domain to another easier registrar, using the down time to redesign/rebuild, then getting new hosting and uploading the new site to the new host once all the transfers have gone thru.

The alternative is webstrip, rebuild, and either opt for 123's domain forwarding until you transfer out or get someone to talk you thru the riddiculous way 123 set up their dns changes.

To transfer registrars they have this info:

http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/trouble.p...%20of%20123-reg

123-reg state that their site is now fully functional and the problems with the site builder are all sorted out.

However, we still cannot use the site builder and they can't resolve that so have decided to give us a full refund.

We would like to transfer to another company but keep the same domain name if possible - is that likely to be quite straight forward? :flowers:

snow, I changed dns servers on a 123reg domain last week: it only needs filling in a little form, are you looking in the right place? You can set MX and A records if you want, but there are separate forms to change the nameservers and the IPs tag.

I'd say it's one of the easier registrars to move from?

Hayley, yes that should be very easy. When you choose your new host, they should be able to tell you the details you need to give 123reg to get the domain transferred.