UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Friendly Boy Attacked Another Dog - Need Advice

The Grey

My Lurcher has two friends he loves to run and play with.

We approached the field were his friends were and the smaller dog (patterdale) came running up to us, I let mine off and instead of playing like they normally do my boy pinned the dog down and had his mouth around his throat.

The owner said don't worry he needs to learn some manners...so then they started playing as they normally do.

Then under my nose he did it again - pinned him down, mouth around throat and generally roughed him up. So by now the other dog (a huge GSD) takes exception at his mate being set upon and muscles in to scrap with my dog. I was panic stricken and shrieking, until finally they stopped.

We parted company quickly and I checked my boy over. There isn't a scratch on him. Not sure about the other two dogs tho.

Now what is really distressing me is this is so out of character for him. He is a large baby who loves dogs and people and has never ever shown aggression in any shape or form before.

I don't ever want a repeat of this or be uncertain how he will react with another dog so want to nip it in the bud now. I want to get a APDT reg behavourist to him, but the local ones listed on the site seem only to run clubs etc and don't mention behavior. Any advice and suggestions are most appreciated. :flowers:

Is your dog normally fine with other dogs, apart from these 2, his friends?

If he is, and this is totally out of character, is yours a bit under the weather. Sometimes we don't notice it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you don't know your dog, but sometimes there can be an underlying problem that the best of owners wouldn't notice. :flowers:

I just hope you can sort things, I agree with Kerri, I would certainly use a muzzle when you take him out just in case.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Kazz xx

Read this article by Suzanne Clothier and see if it helps.

If the dogs owner said that he needed to learn some manners that may have been all that your dog was trying to teach him. If the dog offered your lurcher no calming signals but charged straight in then it's not your guys fault. I'd suggest that you read this and then re-run the incident and see if you get a new perspective.

He just wants to say hi

(Please note the copyright restrictions - you may post a link but NOT the full article)

Obviously I wasn't there so can't really comment but it is worth consdiering this point of view.

Pam

Muzzled yes I have to agree - no more ball throwing

Yep he has always been fine with them and all other dogs he's met.

Its a really good point about being under the weather. There is something bothering him - could he have gone all macho man and stupid cos I rehomed a greyhound bitch in May and in his way thought he needs to protect her ? Anyway I'll get him to the vets to make sure he is okay. As you say sometimes we can miss the signs :flowers:

Read this article by Suzanne Clothier and see if it helps.

If the dogs owner said that he needed to learn some manners that may have been all that your dog was trying to teach him. If the dog offered your lurcher no calming signals but charged straight in then it's not your guys fault. I'd suggest that you read this and then re-run the incident and see if you get a new perspective.

He just wants to say hi

(Please note the copyright restrictions - you may post a link but NOT the full article)

Obviously I wasn't there so can't really comment but it is worth consdiering this point of view.

Pam

Great article - thanks for the link. It does put it in perspective. It could be that my boy now feels secure and grown up enough to tell a rude dog off, were as before he just put up with it. I did notice before he had a go the second time the patterdale was nipping his back legs so maybe he felt another telling off was appropriate.

Muzzled yes I have to agree - no more ball throwing

Yep he has always been fine with them and all other dogs he's met.

Its a really good point about being under the weather. There is something bothering him - could he have gone all macho man and stupid cos I rehomed a greyhound bitch in May and in his way thought he needs to protect her ? Anyway I'll get him to the vets to make sure he is okay. As you say sometimes we can miss the signs :flowers:

Maybe he could be under the weather, but as you said you rehomed a grey girl in May. It could be either. It could be none. Off the record I would not consider outside help apart from your vets until you are sure.

It could have been something that "spooked" your lad. :unsure: Sometimes it happens, don't be too quick to go for this behavioral stuff without checking the obvious first. :flowers:

You are his "Mum" you know your dog. Please don't jump in head first without checking all possibilities. :GroupHug: :flowers:

Please keep us updated, and post some pics, I bet he is gorgeous. :wub:

Kazz xx

Vets booked for 2.20 Monday for them both. Will have a chat with the vet before I do anything else.

Casting my mind back a week ago, the three of us were down the river and we came across another dog. He wanted to play and would not come when called. He wouldn't come when I disappeared around the corner. And wouldn't come when I returned. When I got near him he ran off. It took the other owner to get hold of his collar for me to get him on the lead. When we got home I tried calling him in the garden - he didn't come. I took him to a quiet field and called him - he didn't come until I produced some tasty cheese and ham then he was over like a shot. This again is out of character :wacko:

Anyway a big thank you for all your replies and advice :flowers: and I'll let you the outcome of the vet appointment. Here is a couple of pics of the lad

Barney.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg

What a gorgeous boy :wub: Thanx for the pix.

I have to add that if the other dog was nipping his heels then I'm not surprised he floored it! Do mention that bit to your vet, tho as the others have said there can be various things influencing him at the moment ie possible pain and lady to protect!

Pam

Im going to go against the grain here....

If you think he will object to certain dogs, ie dogs he doesnt know, DONT let him play with them, go somewhere else....

Dont muzzle him and let him off the lead, he will still be able to do this, this isnt biting and after all a muzzle will ONLY prevent a dog from biting (and possibly displaying some facial body language)....

It sounds to me like the other dog was quite rude and your dog disciplined him for his behaviour. Its possible your dog was a little OTT with his reaction - hence third dog wading in (although that dog may also be somewhat over reacting as well).

None of that behaviour though sounds aggressive or 'nasty' it simply sounsd as if he is saying 'ok, enough, i am boss you are not' and whilst i dont recommend you allow him to do this, i cant see how muzzling can help, and i CAN see how it could hinder.

If you have him without a muzzle on, you can reward with treats and play with the ball, and other dogs can see if he curls a lip or pulls a 'go away' face.

If he were mine, i would make sure his recall from play with other dogs was very strong, and id practice letting him play and recalling for time out when it gets silly, rewarding and distracting with games. FOr now id avoid other dogs hurtling up to him, and work up slowly to dogs he doesnt know well.

Em

Vet could find nothing wrong with him. Her thoughts are it could be one of three reasons why he did it:

1) Heat

2) I'm the boss and you've overstepped the mark so now I'm putting you in your place.

3) My grey girl, although speyed, could be the time when she would be in season. Both his 'friends' are entire.

She is also a homeopathic vet so checked his yin and yang pulse :wacko: He has a strong yin pulse so it means he is pretty chilled and laid back.

She has given him a homeopathic remedy and I'm to keep an eye on his behaviour. Any changes and she'll do some blood tests.

I guess I'll never know why he did it, but I think the heat has played a part. Yesterday I got a large paddling pool and he played in it for ages. After he seemed much more like himself. After looking up one of the ingredients of the homeopathic remedy it seems the vet thinks it could be the grey girls 'season':

Lachesis types are intelligent, articulate and very creative. They have a pale complexion with a purplish hue.Highly intense, they are inclined to be jealous in relationships and can be particularly suspicious and revengeful. Well aware of others’ weaknesses they use this to their advantage to manipulate them. Weak areas of the body are the nervous system, left side of the body, blood and circulation and the female reproductive organs.

Anyway Thank you for your advice and replies :flowers: Lets hope it was a one off.