UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Midges

wickychoo

Hi all, we're thinking of the Highlands for a camping trip in September and taking our wee boy along too. I have been told there'll be midges galore up there at that time and I wondered, what I can do to stop Tyler being bitten to pieces?

As he's a whippet he's almost bald underneath on his belly and he only has one layer of fur on the rest of him so he's as vulnerable as we are really. Will his regular Frontline stuff stop them biting (that should stop the ticks too right?) Should I get a thin coat for him to cover him up to stop them getting to his skin in the first place perhaps? Any advice on midges then guys?

I know September's a long way off yet, but I'd rather be prepared for his sake and mine :)

Having lived 99% of my life in Scotland, I can guarantee that no amout of clothes protecrt you from midges, it's worse when they find their way in. I get bitten in the most intimate places despite being fully clothed.

As someone who has spent most of my life being eaten to death by the b.....rs, I've tried most things and the only thing that's worked for me is the Homeopathic remedy Culicoides Impunctatus mix 30c from www.freemans.uk.com Other things have worked temporarily. Last year I got Avon Skin so soft dry oil body spray which seemed to help too, haven't used oit this year, just the homeopathic stuff and have been walking through them without being eaten.

We often go on holiday to Scotland and I can't say that the dogs have ever been bothered by midges. When we camped we used to buy a special product to keep the midges away - it was a bit like an incense stick but in a spiral shape which you hung up in or around your tent and burnt. It used to be pretty good at keeping the blighters at bay but I am buggered if I can remember the name of it :rolleyes: We always bought them from outdoor shops.

Marion

Having lived 99% of my life in Scotland, I can guarantee that no amout of clothes protecrt you from midges, it's worse when they find their way in. I get bitten in the most intimate places despite being fully clothed.

Ooh err! :unsure: Thanks for the heads-up (I think :wacko: :laugh: ) That Avon stuff is supposed to be great from what I've read on tinternet.

We often go on holiday to Scotland and I can't say that the dogs have ever been bothered by midges. When we camped we used to buy a special product to keep the midges away - it was a bit like an incense stick but in a spiral shape which you hung up in or around your tent and burnt. It used to be pretty good at keeping the blighters at bay but I am buggered if I can remember the name of it :rolleyes: We always bought them from outdoor shops.

I know the ones! Good idea! I had never thought of them, genius, ta Marion :flowers: