UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rimadyl Dosage

gooster

As you may have read in RMF, Charliegoo hurt his back leg today whilst out on a walk. We have got some rimadyl in (the 50mg chewable tablets) and I was wondering what dosage he'd need - he's 14.5kg. (This is just a short term solution to ease any pain tonight). I am also going to give him some Arnica as well :)

If you're giving him Arnica, he's not likely to need Rimadyl too. I haven't read what happened, but you can give Arnica quite often if it's really bad, up to ten doses maximum, getting farther apart each time. If it's bad enough that you're even considering Rimadyl, you probably need to see a vet anyway.

I'll send Reiki.

Well, I've hunted through new posts and still haven't sussed out what RMF is, so can't find what happened to him or how bad it is. Hope he's feeling better.

Muriel, it's the Random Mundane Facts type thread - there's one running each month in non-animal chat and the June one is here - though it is a loooooooooooooong thread so would be easier for Jayne to post the info here for you :)

Here is a copy of the post;

Took the dogs out for a really nice walk today, whilst I was out, Charliegoo, Shara and Ed took off after a rabbit. I decided to test Charliegoo's recall abilities, so called him once, and he came straight back to me. I did a really long food circuit with him and he kinda skidded on his left hind leg. He was fine for the rest of the walk - chasing his ball on a rope like a looney, but since getting home and snoozing, he's started limping on it That'll teach me to do food circuits

hth

From the pot we have here dosage is given as 2 - 4 mg/kg per day for acute conditions. Our 26.1kg lab has just been prescribed 50mg twice daily by our vet so Charlie would want around half that. 50mg would be a once a day dose for him so make sure you let your vet know how much and when you have given him it so they can take that into account tomorrow.

TBH I would be reluctant to give him a full dose tonight in case it masked the problem when you saw the vet tomorrow. Maybe 1/2 tablet to take the worst off for him overnight.

Thanks guys :flowers: He is seeming a bit better today - he has had 3 doses of arnica since last night, and his limp isn't so bad - didn't end up giving him rimadyl :) He was back to his usual self, launching himself at the windows when the windowcleaners came, so I think I'll see how he goes on, and if it gets any worse, then I'll take him to the vets :)