UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Happy Tail

cycas

Azure believes that tails are for wagging, and the harder the better. As he is smooth coated his tail does not have a lot of padding, and he is constantly getting little injuries by whacking it against the walls. Then he wags more, and knocks the scabs off...

Should I be concerned?

Is there anything that can be done? (Removing all the interior walls? wrapping everything at tail height in bubblewrap? :laugh: )

He is slowly painting the upstairs hallway dark red, a few brushstrokes at a time: I reckon he probably gets it bleeding every 3-4 days, which can't be good for it!

Beama had the same problem when we first had her, as soon as it would start healing her mad wagging would knock the scabs off and start it bleeding again :rolleyes:

It the end I had to bandage her tail up using pipe lagging (for padding) and vet wrap and it finally healed properly- may be worth a try if it isn't healing, although if the scabs are only tiny I would be tempted to leave it be? :wink:

It is hard to tell if the scabs are small or large, as any attempt to examine them results in frantic wagging, which makes it a bit hard to see.

I shall see if I can creep up on the tail when he is asleep.

It's a difficult one - this can turn into a real problem. I know one person who's lurcher had to have their tail amputated because they basically wagged it into a pulp, so I think it is worth trying to cover it to let it heal properly. Rather you than me, though, I can't imagine being able to keep anything on a happy dog's tail for long. No idea how you can stop him doing it again, either. :rolleyes:

So not very helpful (sorry), but how lovely to hear he's settled into being such a happy waggy boy. :)

I sneaked up on the waggy tail when he was tired last night, and I could only find a couple of small scabs (though he has now managed to scratch his tummy through doing Roobarb impressions through the brambles).

So, I'm hoping it's healing up: it's been about a week since his last outbreak of wall-painting.