UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Boy Is Now Officially A Flyball Dog

Anniegirl

I have been lurking on here a while but decided to join when I saw the thread about the harnesses as we use them, so it is a perfect opportunity for me to brag about my boy.

Bertie, my Lizzies Barn lurcher, officially became an official flyball dog at the weekend when he got his 200 points :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: . Last year I honestly thought he would never get it as he wasn't the slightest bit interested in a tennis ball. During the year we tried fly 'sausage fat soaked'ball, fly tuggy, even fly 'stuffed border collie' (much to the amusment of the crowd at the game fair we were at) which was the most sucessful, but he never managed flyball :laugh: . But this year it has seemed to click with him and he is becoming a very steady, reliable dog although he does slow down during the day. Admittedly he does need my OH on the box and me running him otherwise he is not interested, but he has his 200 points and beaten Annie my BC.

IMG_0436.jpg

But not to leave Annie out, she loves flyball and has been doing it for two years now. Unfortunately she is still in starters as she gets too excited in the arena and runs amoke :rolleyes: . She is now perfect in starter competitions so we keep trying her in our third team in the warm ups and she was perfect in them at the weekend too. So we tried one race, and we thought she had it, but just before the last jump she decided to go and see the other dog, then go the other arena where another starters was taking place :rolleyes: , but it is still a great improvement and I have high hopes that she will soon be there

IMG_0252.jpg

Thats fantastic!

I know that feeling well, we've been trying to get murphy to run for 6 months and it was only last week that he actually managed several up and downs without dashing over to chase the other dogs. I was really starting to think that it would never happen. I hope more people see this, as so many people start and don't carry on if their dogs don't seem that bothered to start with, especially when some dogs seem to get it straight away, but your story shows that it can be done! Hurray!