UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Manchester Terrier Becks!

Guest manchester_terrier_lover

My amazing little dog Becks (who at the time was named after david beckham, and now after the lager) has been a little mischievous. Way that because i moved from winchester to ringwood last august i brought my dog as i was moving from mums to dads, i wanted him with me. but... firstly he kept escaping nearly got shot by farmers on several occasions, also he would pee in the house and wouldnt usually do it in my other home so i seem to think he was scent marking. i have scent him back to winchester but what him back so much as i can do alot more with him than my mum and brother can... any solutions on where i can start. i have considered a cage for him at night... but is unknown of general idea in these cages..

Well its hard to explain as to what the problem is hes and 'all there' DOG and im wanteding to know if they are all like the following: occasionally agressive to other male dogs, (took on a next door neighbours rottweiler that had recently arrived and guess who was worst off?...) you can bribe him with anything when out on a walk when dogs are around and nothing will work. no dog... good as gold. he would occasionally pee in the house to the extent of letting him out in the garden and comes back in and does a small secret squirt on the side of something usually the same place, and normally at night. he does not do it so much now he back in winchester but... if it could be solved i would want him here again... he is highly intelligent and he knows he should do these things but obviously need that extra something to stop him continuing... hes very elegant and alot of people will stop him in the street and if its busy hes interested in everyone and every thing so anyone can come and say hello, but if its one on one quite quietly situated he is a bit more, protective and can become a bit funny until some one will say oh ha ha ha and say whats wrong and then say lovely dog then walk off smiling which in Becks case hes won the battle of scaring them off, which i dont think has done him many favours... its only since he has been quite mature hes been like this... help.

charlotte x

Another kind off thing i wanted to add, was the fact that... well i would like to oneday breed from becks, as he has good bloodlines, and well not for money obviously, but i want one of his offspring, hes an amazing dog and would love to try again, with one, they are so easy to train but i was young when i got him and was not 100% with training skills but for what he has turned into.. hes a top dog.

Edited by WendyGdog

You shouldn't even be considering breeding from a dog with a tendency towards aggressive/defensive behaviour, no matter how good his bloodlines are. Marking and aggression to other males are classic (but still unwanted) behaviours in unneutered males. Being 'funny' when he meets people is even more worrying.

I think its more the terrier in him like you get yappy little dog this is more like beck, but not as bad he has become incresingly better the last 2 years as i have been doing alot more about it. the aggresion is not the priority as to a dedree is not that bad he has ony become snappy as when he was younger his dad had attacked him a few time so he is not so fond on dogs. but he will quite happily lounge about with anyone who wants to play, he loves most dog and will run and play, but his only tendancy to get 'funny' is if hes in the situation, for example a dog that is in my eyes quite dominant to look after its pack will come towards him. i cannot predict what he will do until i see the other dog i am 100% happy to let him run with any dogs, its there attitude will affect his. but its the recalling problem i have with him.he is in no way at all visious to anyone. he just shys back and woofs if is bothered. i have to reasure him all is ok for him to be ok. i dont undrstand it x

His own Dad attacked him when he was younger, and now he is snappy. His Dad should never have been bred from, and now he's showing the same signs, and yet you still want to continue that line? You might not think his agression is a priority, but it is one of the main reasons dogs end up in rescues, or dead in pounds. A dog should never be bred from if it is not 100% healthy (which means having all the necessary health checks done) and with a 100% sound temprement. There is no excuse for breeding from a dog that doesn't completely fulfill both those criteria.

As he is in no way suitable for breeding, get him castrated as soon as possible before his other behaviours become ingrained and even harder to train out.

His dad was a rescue and his background was unknown, he was near to dying as he had been literally been eating junk and living outside £800 and 32 stitches after eating fishing line and god knows what else. becks was an accident, his mum had him in a litter of 4 two died early on in vetinary care. and becks dad had to be rehomed and he was only from BMTA and so went on to a farm where he now lives happily, as there were 2 dog under this ladies care male and female, male was having about 30% recovery level but some how managed to breed a soon as this was known it was for sure dad is obviously well enough to move on. and so yes. his dad was casterated half way through pregnancy but still had to go. the pups were born and now the mum and brother of becks are living together, and becks alone apart from a cat, baggy. at a young age matter of days the father max was giving terrier type signs as to the pups as if they were not dog or his own and could only socialize again when were out on walks... i would love to rehome a dog my dad is thinking of it and wants something either labrador jrt or spaniel. as i can not have my dog which i miss tremedisly. he is the most lovable dog i have ever come accross they they are devoted to thier owners and close ones. x

Hello Chazy and welcome to Refuge as has been pointed out this is a predominantly rescue forum, many of our members have years of experience in dealing with behavioural issues and you've come to the right place if you want some help with that. :biggrin:

It's clear you are very proud of becks and want to work on his problems, perhaps you could concentrate on fixing those rather than thinking of some next generation pup that could very possibly have all those issues and worse especially with such an uncertain parentage? Not only would that be more work for you with the pup, but more importantly it's very unlikely there would be just one pup in the litter. Can you be sure that anyone who took one of those pups would be willing to put the same work in? Those would be becks pups too, and they could end up in a rescue or put to sleep for aggression if their unsuspecting owners couldn't cope.

As a rescue forum we promote neutering and in becks case that could very well help you with some of his behaviours.

Hello Chazy and welcome to Refuge as has been pointed out this is a predominantly rescue forum, many of our members have years of experience in dealing with behavioural issues and you've come to the right place if you want some help with that. :biggrin:

It's clear you are very proud of becks and want to work on his problems, perhaps you could concentrate on fixing those rather than thinking of some next generation pup that could very possibly have all those issues and worse especially with such an uncertain parentage? Not only would that be more work for you with the pup, but more importantly it's very unlikely there would be just one pup in the litter. Can you be sure that anyone who took one of those pups would be willing to put the same work in? Those would be becks pups too, and they could end up in a rescue or put to sleep for aggression if their unsuspecting owners couldn't cope.

As a rescue forum we promote neutering and in becks case that could very well help you with some of his behaviours.

yes i totally understand everything it has come into the conclusion as i have had 3 or 4 people before saying if anything comes of him please let us know even my dads friend a builder.. and with that i think that i would love for becks to have litter then neuter. its scary to think he could be perfectly fine. him and his brother have had totally different up bringings and his brother is more like a gaurd dog now with mum and a 10 month old staffy. I would certainly not consider letting any of these dogs go to uncertain homes, i would find them through friends and family so can stay in contact. if you were to meet becks and see his characteristics. he is sound. And if you could pin point the main problems, as to me i would be heart broken for anything to happen to becks, its so difficult as i am totally with the idea of neutering, and to be honest i am for sure becks will be neutered. but im so in love with the breed, and to go and buy a dog is not the same. its like fostering children i suppose, not the same as having your own. but left with the same outcome... i dont know... thanks for your help x after all he was given to me, but i have to say, i think thats it when goes...

How do you work out he has come from good bloodlines when you say his fathers background is unknown? :wacko:

his mothers side, have had best of breed at crufts as close to grandparents, etc, his dad was of fine stance and was already KC reg but abandoned for a matter of months and when found taken in and needed to have alot of medical treatment.

Hi Charlotte,

I am slightly confused that you say your dog has excellent bloodlines and yet his father was a rescue dog with an unknown background

as others have said your dog is really unsuitable to breed from, we all love our dogs and the idea of having a little version of our dogs is of course appealing, but when you consider how many dogs are breed every single year and how many unwanted dogs there are in the UK its really unfair to bring more pups into the world

There are loads of people here who will be able to offer loads of advice re training and behaviour and hopefully you will get some advice that helps you

I would personally recommend having Becks neutered ( all of mine are ) and it does make a big difference

Sam