UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Soon After Vaccinations Can You Flea Treat?

Asmo

All 3 of our dogs and 1 cat have just had their boosters. I only use a treatment like Frontline once a year (as the weather gets warmer) and stick to garlic etc for the remainder of the year. (It's just to give them a boost where heavy flea problems and ticks are concerned because where we live surrounded by brakcen, moors, heather, livestock etc).

Anyway, is there a time frame after vaccinations before you can use a spot-on type treatment? I don't want to do the wrong thing.

I would wait a while, not sure how long, but what's jumping into my head is a month sounds like a reasonable time to give their systems to fight the boosters and recover before the next assault.

How about emailing and asking a Homeopathic Vet? Or have a look at

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/healthypets.htm

and

http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/

There may be a guide there.

Guest chilover
I would wait a while, not sure how long, but what's jumping into my head is a month sounds like a reasonable time to give their systems to fight the boosters and recover before the next assault.

Wise words.

I think too many people are too keen (with the best of intention) to bombard their dogs with chemicals. No offence intended to anyone... before anyone takes it!

The sad thing is, so many vets encourage it all :(

Have you considered one of the natural flea treatments that are available? Again for professional advice, as Muriel says, contact a homeopathic/holistic vet.

Thanks for the thoughts. I do try and avoid the chemical route and stick to garlic etc, which usually works. But for some reason last year we had a really bad outbreak of both fleas and ticks where we live and one of the dogs just seemed to pick them up every time we went out. So I used just one treatment at the beginning of the outbreak and it seemed to be enough to give them relief until it all died down again. I'm just worried that with the warmer weather now we'll have the same thing happening.

I'll have a better read up and have a rethink, see what else we could maybe try.

Thanks for the replies :flowers:

Edited by Asmo