UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Wounds "breaking Down"

Kerrio

I've always understood wounds 'breaking down' to mean not granulating properly. I guess, depending on the type of wound, it could be as a result of the edges having rolled (healed back on themselves) in which case then they need to be debrided. Otherwise is the wound too dry or too wet? Both can prevent healing but you can get different dressings to combat this. Does the dog have any other medical condition which might affect the healing process? For example, Otis's hypothyroidism seems to have an impact on his skin healing rate :(

Hope whoever is sporting the wound is soon healed :GroupHug:

PS I have no medical knowledge whatsoever (unless O level Biology counts!) I just happen to live with lurchers :rolleyes:

Hi Kerri

Kleine is having wound breakdown problems with a Pad Injury. The stitches aren't holding all the way across the cut and the flesh is gooey and dead at one end. the Vet debrided (scraped) the dead flesh away to healthy stuff and re-stitched just the end. Saturdays' check up revealed that it was healing much better and tomorrow some of the original stitches will be removed to see how it goes, it is 2 weeks since her injury (glass).

Several years ago my Scampi cut his pad on broken glass very badly, my vet wouldn't suture it as he said lacerations on the pads often broke down and wouldn't heal properly so prescribed Dermisol cream.

See http://www.vet-medic.com/Product_Info.aspx?pCode=DERM5 Well the healing process was more or less miraculous, you could almost watch the granulation taking place. I would certainly reccomend it for deep cuts of this kind.

Homeopathic Arnica aids healing. I used Colloidal silver after bathing with salt water on Millie's paw when she cut it recently. It took a while, but once I managed to get a plaster to actually stick to the pad, it healed up very well. The Colloidal Silver seemed to keep it fresh.

Yup all round (and thanks)

The stitches basically were holding dead skin over the wound, the vet cut them and the the dead flesh away and said it will heal but take longer.

Nice pink gooey open wound

Excuse me while I go puke.

Guest chilover

As an ex nurse a wound generally breaks down due to infection.

Skin naturally wants to heal, if it doesn't...ask your vet what is going on?

Allergies to wound sutures may contribute too?