UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Natural Pain Relief?

Clare

Can anyone advise on any natural pain relief for our old boy? George who we think is around 11 was checked over by our vet when we first fostered him as he was a bit dodery on his old legs, but as he has got fitter this has improved and he is pretty fit and active now, but from time to time one of his legs will give way (not always the same one) and he occasionally trips over. Tonight we were out walking and he got spooked and ran a couple of step and tripped over :mecry: , he picked himself up and hobbled a bit then was fine. But I expect he will be a bit sore for a few days, I wondered if there was anything we could give him to make him more comfortable in this time. He is currently on Synflex to help his joints. We are planning on taking him back to the vets for another check up but I am worried that some of the pain killing drugs they perscribe have horrible side effects and in every other way Georgie is a very happy cheeky boy :wub: He is going on his first holiday on Friday, I hope this isn't going to spoil it, my parents have great adventures planned for him :wub:

Arnica is a great anti inflammatory - promotes healing generally, and also gives some pain relief. It's great for bruising. I also use Green Lipped Mussel Extract for my g'hound's arthritic wrists, this has seemed to help in the longer-term (been using it now since last August).

Can I get Arnica from somewhere like Holland and Barrett or do I need to get special dog arnica :unsure:

George does have a nice padded bed by the radiator but he prefers to sleep on the kitchen floor by the fridge :wacko: I have just spoken to Mum and she has shut him in the lounge with her and the fire is on esecially for him, which he is enjoying, everyone else is roasting :laugh:

Thank you :flowers:

You can use normal arnica from boots/H&B. We used to give our arthritic springer Rhus Tox (again from boots/H&B) and found that helped him. At the moment, we are giving Shara green lipped mussel, and she's leaping and bouncing around like a puppy :huh:

For Ruby's arthritis we had her on cod liver oil and glucosamine. I have to say the CLO worked miles more than the glucosamine.

How's his weight? That can play a part in it too, although I know it's hard to keep them lean when they're in so much discomfort they can't exercise :( :GroupHug:

Homeopathic Arnica 30c is great when they have a fall or anything. Give one asap, and depending if it's a really bad fall you can give another a wee while later up to about 6 doses, but if just an average fall like that sounds like, just give one at the time, and another before bed, followed by three a day for today and possibly tomorrow if you feel he needs it. He'll probably refuse it when he doesn't need it. :wink:

It's great stuff, I carry it in my dog walking jacket nowadays, in the event of injury, I just shake one on to my palm and dog laps it up. :)

Very wise to be wary of the vet's painkillers, he sounds as if he's doing fine without them.

My last girl regularly had a leg give way too, different one each time. Vet not interested. As she got used to getting exercise though, she did it less, never did suss it out, but she was happy. :wink: