UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Introducing Cats & Dogs

Ian

When introducing a dog with an inclination to chase given the chance to cats - in particular a kitten of around 7 months old who hasn't previously mixed with dogs & who will run if possible but will arch & would presumably claw if pushed - how long does it typically take for them to settle totally with each other?

I've never had a cat before and am currently caring for a young stray gsd (for about a fortnight now). I can get them sat / laid calmly & within a couple of feet in a room if watched but wouldn't trust them unsupervised at present.

Cat had begun to move towards the dog more but will run off at other times for no obvious reason. Dog then wants to chase

Dog seems curious at times but is less friendly at others (eg guards over bone, will loom over cat as they look at each other through a glass door)

Not sure whether I'm just being impatient but I'd hoped they'd have been totally comfortable with each other by now.

I think it takes as long as it takes. With a young big dog and a kitten, you are probably going to have to watch them for a good long while, because both of them are likely to want to play, and it's SO easy for the dog to be too rough or the kitten to catch the dog with a claw, even if they have the best intentions. It sounds like things are moving the right way from your description - but kittens are so skittish!

I have one cat who insists on playing with my young lurcher, and having had them both since last Feb, I eventually gave up trying to stop them because they both love it and are very careful. But it was I think at least a couple of months before I came to that conclusion, and I'd be more careful with a kitten because they are so fragile. My cat and lurcher are best buddies and leap about like loons.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I think we are getting there, we've only had one minor spat in the month they've been together - perhaps a little over exuberance on Lucys part.

In the main Lucy (dog) likes to "chase" after the cat (in play / wanting to be in with everything she does & with a wagging tail) & Chloe likes to hide behind a chair and then pop into view with a playful paw (never actually swipes her). I think perhaps Lucy seeming so big & wanting to be in Chloe may have been a bit unsure at first how friendly her intentions may be but she'll now quite happily come alongside Lucy when it suits her.

Lucy has been used to hunger I think & can be a little protective of her food / bones if Chloe approaches but nothing major. Whilst I don't yet leave them alone together when I'm out in general things seem to be going reasonably well now.