UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Another Dog Food Question

gooster

Hi all

Charlie has been fed Burns fish and brown rice for the last few years, his tummy is fine on it. However he is always hungry. He has always been a greedy dog, but over the last 12 months, he just can't control himself when food is around. On the way home from hydrotherapy, he would scream and yodel in the car, as he knows he gets fed when he gets home. Tonight, when I got back, mum and dad were late feeding him, and he was pacing around the house squeaking and panting.

Vets have checked him out and he is fine. The only thing that keeps him calm ish and controllable is skullcap and valerian tablets, but I don't want to drug him up every day for the rest of his life.

For those who don't know, he is a collie x Scottie type and is 13 in January.

If he has blood tests to rule out disease and is not losing weight then it could be just due to old age.

I have had older dogs who seem to become obsessed with food. Part of dementia I think.

You could try bulking his food out with some steamed/boiled veg or tinned green beans, if he will eat them.

I have found my oldies seem to do well on tinned Chappie- it is low fat but bulky and seems to make them feel fuller.

Feeding smaller meals more often may help.

• Like 1