UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Saying Goodbye To A Fosterling

Anne Grose

Two weeks ago we said goodbye to a dog who had arrived in our garden as a badly bitten, very much worse for wear collie cross. He has gone to the loveliest of homes after spending two and half months here getting well, confident and happy.

I miss him dreadfully, this is the first time I have ever "fostered" a dog and I got terribly attached to him. Is it normal for foster mum's to want to rush over to the new home, snatch back their foster dog and tell them they can't have him.

I have two beautiful dogs of my own and really didn't want a third permanently, so I know in my heart of heart's that this was the right decision, especially as I hear that Freddie is so happy.

How do you other foster mum's cope with saying goodbye. Is doing it all again help?? Or, is it just as bad the second time around??

Anne

Alot of our fosterers feel like that when their foster dog goes to their new home. I think some feel that way every time and then some dogs more than other will pull on the heart strings. I think at the end of it the fosterer think they have done a good job the dog has gone off to a new home and they can now turn their attentions on the next poor soul who needs a temporary home.

We temporarily fostered a JRT X for a week before he went to his foster home and my parents considered keeping him but we couldnt offer the home he required.

That 'little face in the back of the car window' syndrome - know it so well! I have fostered 100 plus dogs, mostly over a three year period when I first started working at The Mayhew, then had my own dog/s but occasionnaly fostered, now back to fostering again.

With a few rare exceptions, i have been choked every time I had to say goodbye to a foster, but found the best way to get over the last foster, was to take on another foster.

One more thing, if you ever have the pleasure of meeting ex fosters again - maybe at events the rescue you foster for holds - then you will find out that they NEVER forget you, you cannot beat the joy of seeing an ex foster all happy, healthy and much loved, bound into your arms with joy, then proudly show you how much they love their new family - priceless!

Sue, Amy - thanks for the reply. I am glad it is a normal feeling. I will meet our Freddie again because he has gone to live with friends of ours. I have backed off meeting him again too soon as I want him to bond with his new owners and not "fret"for me.

We are going to see him again in about 10 days time when he will have been living with them for nearly a month. I can't wait to see that reaction Sue, it will make me very happy.

I've fostered just twice.

And failed both times!

My first failure was Violet, and she'd only been in the car with me for about half an hour when I realised I had to keep her. As soon as we arrived home, I emailed Many Tears and said I wanted to keep her. Sadly, Violet had cancer and she went to Rainbow Bridge exactly 54 weeks after she arrived :cry:

My second failure was Betsy, who is still here. Betsy drove me potty (and still does) because she is so naughty. But when some prospective adopters came to see her, I realised that I love her to bits and couldn't let her go :rolleyes:

I may foster again in the future, but can't guarantee I'll let them go.

Edited by cindere528