UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cat Litter Alternative

merledogs

Just thought I'd pass a tip on which I stumbled across by accident a couple of years ago.

Instead of expensive cat litter, I use bog standard garden compost. It's light, you can put a nice deep layer in and the cats absolutely love having a good root around in it (it's easier for them to move around than cat litter which is quite heavy and claggy).

When I go to change it, I just pick the bits of poo out and re-use the compost in the garden. Wee is full of nitrogen (which is good for plants), so as long as it's mixed in with other compost or watered well to dilute it, then it can be re-used biggrin.gif

It's also a lot more environmentally friendly (you could even use peat free compost if you wanted to) and if you didn't want to re-use it in your garden, you can either put it in with the garden waste (minus poo) or put it in with the rubbish because it has already decomposed.

And best of all - it's cheap as chips compared to cat litter!

• 9 months later...

Good idea, are there any other options - eg sawdust, woodshavings etc or is there a reason you couldn't?

She's about 6 months now but I acquired Chloe, "little puss" this year (sometimes she's a good little puss, sometimes cheeky and sometimes just plain naughty little puss :mad: )