UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Presents

Pendlewitch

If someone bought you something you thought a tad bizarre or you thought 'what on earth' how would you react? Would you thank them reasonably profusely and pop it in the nearest charity shop at some point?

There was a bit of a sticky moment at a (horrid) family do today when the recipient actually laughed at the gift, made a 'what the heck' type comment and tossed it onto the table. The giver was seriously gutted as they really thought it was a useful item and for a moment I thought the giver was going to break down and cry, fortunately the arrival of more guests covered the moment. I thought it was bloody rude, it doesn't do any harm to be grateful even if the item is dire.

I spent a maximum of 10 minutes at the do as I hate these gatherings, this little incident only makes me glad I'm a recluse!

Edited by Pendlewitch

How hurtful for the giver How extremely nasty of the recipient. It wouldn't have hurt to express a little gratitude for the item, whatever you did with it later.

Some people are so self-centred with not consideration for other people at all. To my mind they deserve a good kick up the watsit. I certainly wouldn't buy for them again.

One has to wonder how tasteful/appropriate this recipients presents to others were?

Well, I have a dilemma. My mum had a few presents, mostly chocolates and toiletries which she is very happy with. But there was a mysterious little parcel which didn't have a label, or had lost it. We were amazed to find it contained glittery gold eye makeup, 2 shades of gold cream eyeshadow and a liquid glitter eyeliner. My mum had a good laugh and said it wasn't really her kind of thing. Too right, it was only suitable for disco wear.

I suspect one of the carers gave it to her by mistake, and someone's teenage daughter is feeling very put out after receiving something like lavender soap :laugh:

Perhaps the most tactful solution is to leave a note in the book saying that mum gave up using eye makeup because she has to have eyedrops 3 x daily, so perhaps whoever left it might pass it on to someone who would make use of it?

I agree with all thats been said, how bloody rude to do that to someone no matter how 'unwanted' the gift is :angry:

:laugh: @ Owls mums pressie. Think you're right about the mix up, however give your mum a few weeks and you may find a makeover has been done :laugh:

Am i the only person who gets excited about socks as pressies because i can now bin the holey things i wear and have socks that keep my feet warm :laugh: Tis sheer bliss :laugh:

How rude and uncalled for. :angry:

It happened to my daughter years ago. She had taken a lot of time and trouble to find something for my ex that she had thought he would really like. He had set his mind on a silver book page saver. (Not do-able on her pocket money) He threw the gift back at her. Tears from my daughter and a right rollicking from me to him. Sulks from him= peaceful christmas afternoon!!!!:laugh:

One of the reasons he is my ex!!

Owl, that made me chuckle. Maybe write an apology in the book for who ever got the correct pressie (with a comment that they are welcome to swap the present out if they'd like!)

I liked socks this year as I've worn holes in all of mine. However, I struggle with large sets every year as I don't wear holes that fast!!