UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Depressed Teen

K9Fran

I am worried about my youngest.He's so like me it's frightening.

For the last few days his mood has plummeted. He does the 'teenage shoulder shrug' when asked what he enjoys/is looking forward to etc. But this isn't 'normal' teenage behaviour - he can be lively and funny and so sharp he'd cut himself. but when he has these periods he's like a different person. He keeps getting detentions, then not attending them, so more and longer detentions as a result. He just doesn't seem to care. We remind him before he leaves for school, we make sure it's written in his planner/diary, but I suspect he chooses to ignore it. This is so typical of the way I used to 'take control' when I was his age. Back then, I'd also play truant (nowadays I'd call it a 'mental health day') when I felt particularly bad, but with all the electronic register and reporting to parents that goes on, this isn't an option for him. Besides, he had over a week off earlier in the year when he was so bad, we really thought he was 'ill'

I've been in contact with his tutor who has been very supportive, he's seen the Dr (3 weeks ago) who was supposed to have been arranging a blood test at the hospital, but so far we've heard nothing (Dr is chasing this up for me) He's spoken to the school nurse, and the CAHMS nurse at school.

Is there anything else I can do for him?

My initial thought was that if it's only been a few days perhaps it wasn't so bad but as I read further I wondered whether anything may be troubling him?

If this is possible is there anyone he will talk to about any underlying worries he may have - (teenagers aren't always known to want to confide in parents unfortunately) - eg a friend, a favourite teacher or relative, a trained counsellor etc?

I hope he's soon feeling better about things :flowers:

Edited by Ian

My initial thought was that if it's only been a few days perhaps it wasn't so bad but as I read further I wondered whether anything may be troubling him?

If this is possible is there anyone he will talk to about any underlying worries he may have - (teenagers aren't always known to want to confide in parents unfortunately) - eg a friend, a favourite teacher or relative, a trained counsellor etc?

I hope he's soon feeling better about things :flowers:

I'm emerging from a very long period of lurking to suggest that maybe he would write down how he's feeling. Text or email?

Hope you find out soon and can help him.

I'm emerging from a very long period of lurking to suggest that maybe he would write down how he's feeling. Text or email?

Hope you find out soon and can help him.

Spins4me good to see you back :GroupHug:

That's a great idea re getting it written down. He doesn't have a lot of friends (but those he does have are loyal and been around him a long time (10 years)so I hope he does talk to them)

When I was depressed, I used to find it a lot easier to write down how I felt than to actually tell people. I have written several letters to my parents over the years when I have felt upset. This means I can get my point across without being interrupted or leaving my train of thought. Are you in contact with any of his friends who may be able to help? :flowers:

Writing things down is a great idea. It has worked for me in the past and for quite a few people I know.

My aunt is retired counsellor who worked specifically with teenagers and I know she always used to advise the kids she worked with to write things down in the first instance.

Keep on at your doctor too in case there could be some underlying health problem that could be fixed. If it turns out not to be that then your GP can refer your son to a counselling service which he may find beneficial. It's often easier to open up to a 3rd party - especially one that is trained in dealing with teenage issues.

I hope you both get a handle on it and it's soon resolved Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif