UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Whippety Screaming At Onlead Dogs

cycas

My Mum's Oldies Club whippet Flash looks like butter would not melt whenever I see him. He trots along being *oh so good*.

However, she tells me that he's developed an obnoxious habit : if he sees an onlead small dog - particularly, though not exclusively if he and his two buddies are also on lead - he goes into mad screaming banshee mode and tries to launch himself at the other dog!

Flash is himself a wee little thing so it's not too much of a problem to hold him back, but obviously she'd rather he didnt' do this as it's not very social behaviour!

Flash has always been great with my hounds and foster dogs (though of course they are bigger!) and when we meet up to do a walk he either ignores other offlead dogs we meet, sniffs politely, and occasionally plays nicely with them (though I think he doesn't like to play when my hounds are there as they are so much bigger so he doesnt' want to start them running..)

But then we usually meet in places where all the dogs are offlead, whereas when Mum walks him round the village, she's more likely to meet other dogs on lead.

Another Flash question while I'm at it : he really hates the cold and wears a lot of coats. Mum has wondered if he would like boots to keep his feet warm - any recommendations?

Did the noise start when he started to wear his coats this year (as in he has his Super powers cape on and wants to tell everyone)?

Boots - hmm, bruv used to have some for his elderly lab but would Flash wear them? Laughed hysterically on Saturday as was having a meal out with parents when we saw a woman trying to walk her dog along the pavement. Dragging, promising treats, dragging, pushing its legs forward one at a time.... in the end she took of the brand new coat and the dog bounced along happy as anything.

can't help with the screaming at smaller dogs as i have one who kicks off at everyone...big or small he's not fussy :laugh: i use muttluk boots, got mine off ebay for about £12, they are fab and actually stay on :biggrin: as we have long stand paw problems here we also have pawz boots but they are thin rubber mainly designed to keep paw/bandages dry.... if you can get hold of some muttluks at a reasonable price i don't think you would be dissappointed :flowers:

My Taffy used to be very shouty at other dogs when he was on lead - which would set the others off so I'd have five shouty dogs pulling at the same time :rolleyes: He's fab now though and will nicely greet them on or off lead :wub:

Firstly, teach him a good "leave it" command in the house and in other situations and always reward with a nice treat. When certain that he has got the hang of it (not just in one situation but in different ones), then get a stooge dog if possible to walk past him (not too close). The timing of it is imperative, if you say it too late and he reacts but gets rewarded anyway, then you are just reinforcing the behaviour.

When you see a dog (or stooge dog) in the distance, but before he has time to react, say "leave it" and give him a treat when he complies. Keep doing that as you are walking past, which should distract him from the dog. It has to be something of high value, ie more interesting than the other dog. Next time get a bit closer and closer, etc.

If he doesn't leave it, either try the command earlier in the process (but important that he sees the dog otherwise he won't know what you want him to "leave") or else go back a step and reinforce the "leave it" again. Eventually you will be able to do this without the treat/toy and just use praise instead.

You could also do this without the "leave it" and just distract him with his favourite yummy treat or toy. However, I found the command very useful in all sorts of situations (cows, bikes, joggers, manky food that's been dropped, etc) so well worth teaching.