Sex: Male

Can be Re-homed with Children: Yes, Older Children, see below

Can be Re-homed with Dogs: Yes, see below

Can be Rehomed with Cats: Unknown

Neutered: Yes

Vaccinated: Yes

Microchipped: No

Tail: Long

Aldo was picked up as a stray in Wales. A big strong dog, estimated age 18 months. He was initially in foster with our Bath Coordinator. He was described as being affectionate, loyal and good with children and an easy house dog. He was also impossibly strong on a lead and not good at meeting other dogs -lots of lunging and barking. His foster carer took him to socialization classes where it was suggested his approach to other dogs was like a "bull in a china shop", and fear based behaviour. To give Aldo a kick start to his training he was brought up to a foster carer in Norfolk (called James). James is very quiet with dogs but sets very clear ground rules. Aldo has been hit in the past and does not respond to being shouted at. James thinks a quietly spoken but confident female handler - with a family of school age children, would suit Aldo. James has spent considerable time socializing Aldo -he goes everywhere - the shops, the park, the vets (just to sit in the waiting room), out with a bike and has met many, many dogs. Those that he is familiar with he is far less reactive to. His behaviour on the lead is much improved too.

Four weeks later and Aldo came to see me - a bit of a test for him, to see how he behaves with me and with the excitement of a stange place and new smells. I had already seen him when I was one of the team bringing him up to Norfolk. I took him for a walk, no tension on lead and no strength required. However, everytime his collar checks we stop and most of the time he trots around back to me. This regime is followed either on a 2.5 metre line or a very short lead (to encourage some degree of heel work). It did take us 3 times as long to do the normal walk but I was seeing Aldo at his worst and most exciteable (which was pretty good and masses better than when I saw him a month ago). We met a dog and whilst he did bark and lunge initially, James puts him into a down, and he happily stays there very relaxed (loose lead of course). James says nothing and ignores any barking (can't teach them everything at the same time). That's what is so nice, although it is very repetitive, no tension on the lead makes Aldo easy to manage.

Back at my house he met my dog outside -a bit of a fuss which was over in a few seconds. We then bring him inside -my dog is free and Aldo has to stay in another room - but no door inbetween. Aldo stays there with just a few reminders whilst my dog pottered around . Aldo didn't bat an eyelid!! With James and Aldo everything is very black and white -no giving into a pleading look! James is continually reminding Aldo who the boss is -always goes through a door first, makes him lie down while he waits a long time for his tea. This isnt to restrict any dominance this is purely to teach Aldo good canine manners and routine. He took all the comings and goings in my house in his stride, and is a nice well mannered house dog.

Whoever is lucky enough to adopt Aldo has to carry on with his training. He is ready to go to training classes and would benefit from clicker or whistle training. He should not be allowed off lead until he is perfect on lead and always comes when he is called. It may take another couple of months but James has done the hardest bit. Training a dog yourself is part of the bonding process and we hope to find someone soon to take on this challange. Is that you?

Aldo is on our website here: http://www.essw.co.uk/#/aldojo23810/4543328197 and Forum here: http://essw.freeforums.org/aldo-norfolk-t149.html

If you think you can offer Aldo that perfect forever home you can find our adoption forms here: http://www.essw.co.uk/#/how-to-adopt/4531487733 and they are also available on the Forum here: http://essw.freeforums.org/essw-contact-de...erwork-f46.html

Edited by KateG@ESSW

• 1 month later...