UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Inflatable Collars Versus Buster Collars

griff

we have got laneys separation anxiety under control well i thought we had..... he has stopped his chewing the house now :biggrin: and i had got him to the point of being able to be left for 2 hours, he has developed a new behaviour...licking his back paws :rolleyes: to the point he has got them red raw and removed the fur between 2 of his toes, he is on antibiotics as we thought it was an infection but he never licks his paws whilst we are in the house. i mentioned it to the vet and he suggested a buster collar, with the 2 dogs being together i don't want laney bashing into diez and he gets really depressed in a buster collar too, i thought about the inflatable collars but the info says they are not designed to stop the dog getting to their back paws, has anyone used one and did it stop/ discourage your dog from nibbling sore rear paws??

Not sure if either would work if u have a determined dog Missy could still sit and stretch her leg out in front of her and get to her stiches after her cruciate ops with first the buster collar and then the inflatable one as well! Have u tried the bitter tasting stuff u can buy i cant remember the name its smells/tastes horrible and missy didnt go near her knee after i spritzed (not the wound) with it,

:flowers: thankyou Mommybear, i like the idea of that collar but as it is solid and not see through i don't think he would tolerate it (he is bad enough in a buster collar)

katie and missy :wavey: i do have the bitter spray... the one specifically for wounds, i talked to the vet and he said to spray it above the area and not on it as it might make things worse (it obviously stings as you can see him curling his toes) but as it is his toes that are the problem he can nibble those before reaching the rest of his leg..... he does drive me mad that dog :wacko:

I can't see the inflatable collar would work for Laney's back feet, they are excellent for everything else though, Spud used his as a portable pillow laugh.gif

Wouldn't the grapefruit seed oil stuff you got for Deiz's scabby giblets do for Laney's paw ?

thanks for the suggestions.... he is pretty good with boots, the trouble i have is getting ones that will stay on... i have tried most of the boots on the market, jane is sending me (well daisy is sending laney :biggrin: )a smaller pawz boot for him to try... i don't know what breed he is mixed with, he is staffy crossed with something, he has largish paws but slim legs so all the boots slip off him and the paws boots i have are very flappy on the paw bit as he has no bandage on.

i am just trying him with the grapefruit extract but his paw is very inflamed at the moment, he has licked that hard he has taken the shine off his claws :mecry: i did think about taping a sock on his paw but then i got worried about cutting of his blood supply :rolleyes:

i guess it will have to be a buster collar and if he whacks diez i will have to get the one mommybear suggested and just settle him on the sofa before i go out

thanks for the suggestions.... he is pretty good with boots, the trouble i have is getting ones that will stay on... i have tried most of the boots on the market, jane is sending me (well daisy is sending laney :biggrin: )a smaller pawz boot for him to try... i don't know what breed he is mixed with, he is staffy crossed with something, he has largish paws but slim legs so all the boots slip off him and the paws boots i have are very flappy on the paw bit as he has no bandage on.

i am just trying him with the grapefruit extract but his paw is very inflamed at the moment, he has licked that hard he has taken the shine off his claws :mecry: i did think about taping a sock on his paw but then i got worried about cutting of his blood supply :rolleyes:

i guess it will have to be a buster collar and if he whacks diez i will have to get the one mommybear suggested and just settle him on the sofa before i go out

Wonder if you could get a pair of kids tights, cut one leg off and use the other bit pulled up over his bum with a hole for his tail, might need a pair of braces too laugh.gif.

Has that boot not arrived yet, I sent it on Monday unsure.gif

You're already mentioning that Laney has moved expressing his anxiety from chewing the house to chewing his paws. In which case would it make sense to go a few steps back in dealing with his SA, rather than finding him a collar? Just thinking that, if the underlying issue isn't addressed, Laney will find a different way of expressing himself - howling whilst wearing a buster collar gives a beautiful sound effect! :rolleyes: Good luck! :flowers:

Jane nope no boot as yet...w ill probably arrive today :flowers:

Billymalc thanks :flowers: i have already restarted with the seperation anxiety, i have begun putting down his boredom toys (i had stopped as he wasn't / isn't supposed to chase round), i have gone back to using a DAP spray and he wears a Beaphor pheromone collar, the most he is left is for 2 (perhaps rarely 3) hours and that is generally when i am at the drs. i don't talk to him for 30 minutes before i leave and he has a wee before i go (i just open the back door and point and he goes), i make sure i leave the TV on and ensure it is loud enough to drown out any outside noise.

my vet didn't think the paw licking was behavioral (sp)he said that if laney has an infection in his paws he can't scratch it but will lick it to relieve himself, but i never see him do it when i am here :unsure: this isn't the first time this has happened either... all his pads cracked and peeled off before and just under his claws are cracked again :unsure: i am saying it is separation as i don't see him lick his paws...but perhaps he knows he will get told off? he likes to keep me on my toes this dog :laugh:

I'd say if it really was an infection, he wouldn't be too worried about being told off, he would just take himself off to a different room to carry on licking it? If, as you say, he only appears to be licking it while you're away I would wanna bet that it's got to do with his SA. If you're not talking to him for half an hour before going away, would that not be an indication to him that you'll be leaving him, in other words he'll have half an hour extra to psych himself up that he's going to be left alone? I'm sorry that I've not got any answers, just add more questions, but it might help?

i did think that too Billy but he is better if i don't talk to him :flowers: i don't talk to him all the time at home anyway (does that sound mean??) he can sit on the sofa and if i am busy doing something he isn't at all phased by that, also he can be in the house and i can be in the garden and he is happy to sit on the sofa and veg out..... i just don't know whats up with him :rolleyes:

the boot arrived today :biggrin: so we shall see how that goes down...i have also ordered a soft buster collar, if i don't use it this time you can bet there will be another accident at some point where it will be used :rolleyes: