UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ethical Kidney Diet

sproggie14

Cass is currently being investigated for a possible mild kidney issue. The vet has suggested that we consider changing her diet to on suitable for a kidney problem.

Of course the obvious one is Hills K/D but I loathe the company and their "ethics" and the fact that the food is made from battery farmed meat. Our guys usually have a vegetarian diet. I'm reasonably content to move her to a meat or fish based diet if it's necessary for her health (which of course comes first) but it must be an ethical food which uses ethically sourced animal products and is not involved in animal testing.

Burns was our first port of call but their lowest protein is 18% compared to 13% for Hills so I was hoping to find something with a lower protein level or specifically tailored for dogs with kidney issues.

Does anyone have any knowledge of such a food?

Ta :flowers:

Holly has kidney disease as well and she is on Royal Canan. She has the tinned stuff s main meals and the dry as treats. She also has Ipakitine powder sprinkled on the food and Rubenal 300 tablets twice a day.

And honestly, since she has been on them she has turned into a young dog again, she is 14 going on 4.

Hope you have as much success.

Barbara

PS It is 7.00% protein

Edited by barb

I'm not sure that Burns would meet the ethical criteria anyway?

I know they say 'no caged chicken meat' but aren't caged chickens generally used for producing eggs, not meat?

I suspect that not using meat from caged chickens is a long way from using meat from free range chickens. I think a lot of meat chickens are reared in vast crowded windowless barns. sad01_anim.gif

You'd think a vegetarian diet would be pretty low in protein anyway, what else is it about Hills KD that makes it particularly suitable for kidney problems? Could you research that, then home cook to duplicate?

Holly has kidney disease as well and she is on Royal Canan.

Thanks. Does anyone have any info on the ethics of Royal Canin? There didn't seem to be much on their website.

I know they say 'no caged chicken meat' but aren't caged chickens generally used for producing eggs, not meat?

I suspect that not using meat from caged chickens is a long way from using meat from free range chickens. I think a lot of meat chickens are reared in vast crowded windowless barns. sad01_anim.gif

You'd think a vegetarian diet would be pretty low in protein anyway, what else is it about Hills KD that makes it particularly suitable for kidney problems? Could you research that, then home cook to duplicate?

We were looking specifically at the fish based Burns. I'm not sure on their exact policies but they are CIWF approved.

The other thing is to have a low phosphorus level. The veggie food is about average in protein level, it's just vegetable rather than meat based protein. Just to add to the confusion, there is even some talk that a low protein diet doesn't help and can even make it worse. Nothing's ever simple!!

I would be up for doing a home made diet but I don't know much about these things and would hate to get it wrong.

I knew I'd seen a link to a homecooked diet for kidney problems in dogs when I was doing research for our cat Java who had failing kidneys.

I think this was it, it looks pretty detailed:

http://www.dogaware.com/health/kidneydiet.html

Brilliant, thanks :flowers:

Re Royal Canin, apparently they're part of pedigree so not not likely to be ethical. I rang them anyway just cos I think it's good that these companies know consumers care about such things. Apparently their chickens are barn reared :(

If you are up for a home made diet then you would do a lot worse than have a look at this information

www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/kidney-diet/

Lew Olson is perhaps one of the most knowledgable people about diets so what she doesn't know isn't

worth knowing.

By the way I had a dog who was diagnosed with kidney failure aged 4 who they suggested went onto hills. I refused and put him onto a natural diet and he lived until he was well over 13 with very small kidneys with absolutely no further problems.

/Anne

Burns have their own chickens which are free range. I have seen them, the team I did flyball with use a field at the Burns farm. I don't know if they source any from elsewhere, but they have lots and lots of chooks.

Burns have their own chickens which are free range. I have seen them, the team I did flyball with use a field at the Burns farm. I don't know if they source any from elsewhere, but they have lots and lots of chooks.

They grow their own for the Penlan Range, but not the normal stuff, according to their website.

I can't think they could really be sourcing all the chicken for every bag of Burns across the UK from a single farm though it's a lovely idea..

I honestly can't remember now, but a couple years back I went through a phase of trying to find free range chicken based food, and my memory at least is that Burns wasn't. If they were using only free range chicken, then you'd think they would say so, wouldn't they?

I don't feed Burns anyway as I think all their foods have either maize or rice, and both of those give Molls a touch of the runnybums, but I hadn't worked that out when I did the looking. huh.gif

Hey Sproggie, after Billys glowing reference, I'm afraid I can't help - sorry :( as most of my experiance is with liver disease.

Whichever diet you decide on for Cass, this may help you in monitoring it

http://cron-o-meter.en.softonic.com/

It's a nutritional programme, and you can change the numbers to suit yourself, and so could have the programme set to evaluate the numbers specically for Cass.

Take care xx

Edited by Purrpuss

I misread that they had a team of chickens that did flyball

I think I need to take a break from the laptop