UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Barking Mad

cycas

The short answer is no, I wouldn't even consider letting any of mine within a country mile of a set up like that.

I'm gobsmacked anyone would hand over their dogs in those circumstances ohmy.gif

My thoughts exactly. NO WAY would I ever consider leaving my 2 anywhere that I'd not thoroughly checked myself beforehand. I would want to have them stay a night there too and see how I'd get them back the next day. I'd be able to tell immediately if they had forgotten to give Kiera her supplements, because she'd be 'leaking' all over the place!

I seriously can't believe anyone would do that, they must be barking mad indeed! (bad pun intended :D )

I have been thinking about setting up a home boarding business (as I will be made redundant in the not too distant future) but specifically for older dogs, dogs over 7yrs. Parrtly because I love Oldies, partly because I believe there is a need for it. Haven't got round to doing anything about it yet but am going to give it more thought.

No way would I expect owners to leave their dogs with me if they didn't know where I live or what my home was like, nor would I expect them to pay a registration fee and £29 seems extortionate!!

Shame we live so far away from each other, I'd have been more than happy to look after your dogs :rolleyes:

No way would I expect owners to leave their dogs with me if they didn't know where I live or what my home was like, nor would I expect them to pay a registration fee and £29 seems extortionate!!

That's not the attitude if you are thinking of starting a business! tongue.gif You charge what the market will pay for what you offer: if you are running a business, you have costs and you need to eat, not just when you are busy, but also when you have nothing to do for a few days...

I'm looking for someone who will be at home most of the time (for Az my separation anxiety boy), that doesnt' have other bouncy young dogs that will need to be out for hours, and that lives somewhere without traffic noise (traffic noise and built up areas stress Az out) so I'm being quite picky, and expecting quite a lot of time and attention from my dog boarding person. So, happy to pay more than I would for a standard kennel place.

There are two of them, so it's only £14.50 per dog. I've paid £12 per dog before now. As my husband says, compared with the cost of a B&B room for two humans, it's not that much. laugh.gif

would Az be happier if you had someone stay at your house with him ? like a house / pet sitter type person

Probably, but Mark isn't keen on that idea. I don't know why, because we have people come in to feed the cats anyway, but apparently there is something about the idea of someone he doesn't know beforehand living in his house that he can't handle. rolleyes.gif

Personally I think he just doesn't want to have to hoover before we go... laugh.gif

When we only had Caleb I had an interview to look after peoples dogs for Barking Mad. I never actually looked after any dogs and quite sdoon after we got more of our own. All I can say is that the amount the carers are paid is peanuts compared to how much you would be charged!!! I honestly wouldn't touch them with a bargepole with an arrangement like that!

£5 is about right. They spend a huge amount of time and effort recruiting boarders (one of mine has come by that route too - 'What? £5 when the owner is paying £20?') and look especially for older people who fancy having a dog around, but don't want the commitment or the cost. The idea is that the fiver is just to cover expenses and wear and tear, and the boarders are really volunteers. Its not a model I would want to operate because I would feel I was cheating my boarders. And a license costs £120 round here, so I can't imagine many boarders being prepared to shell out that much if all they get is a fiver.

That sounds more like a scam than a business ohmy.gif

Aah, I see. I thought you'd meant you had to pay £30 to "register" before they gave you the info.

I know nothing about them other than what is on the website / that they are listed on the National Home Boarding Register for what that is worth but there's another service here which covers Devon / "East Devon" if you want to look into it further.

http://www.hoovespawsandclaws.co.uk/

Alternatively you could of course always "kill two birds in one stone" & leave Mark at home. :wink: He could perhaps even do the hoovering at his own pace whilst you are away :laugh: