UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Canny Collars

celeste

I've just ordered Ben a fake leather Dogmatic, plus matching lead, hopefully my measuring skills will be better than my failed muzzle measuring for Daisy rolleyes.gif

u mean where u live u was able to find a muzzle. in brid i could not find a muzzle at all for a flat-nosed dog, i had to order it x

I've used a Halti before ( not on Ben) but found it tended to ride up into the eyes, did it do that on Bruno ?

The canny did ride up into Bruno's eyes and he would claw at it until he got it off. But the halti I use for him now is not a head collar. It's just a body harness but the lead clip on at his chest so if he tries to pull, he just turns side ways to me.

This link shows it very well.

Halti video

Forgot to mention, I also got one for Bob terrier to stop him choking himself. Works a treat :biggrin:

The canny did ride up into Bruno's eyes and he would claw at it until he got it off. But the halti I use for him now is not a head collar. It's just a body harness but the lead clip on at his chest so if he tries to pull, he just turns side ways to me.

This link shows it very well.

Halti video

Forgot to mention, I also got one for Bob terrier to stop him choking himself. Works a treat :biggrin:

Ahhhh, Ben has a Halti harness, he can still lunge in it rolleyes.gif

No I had to order one too, hence me now having a lovely made leather muzzle that fits my mastiff better than it fits my tiny Staffie who it was meant for laugh.gif

i was about to buy one and the man said have u had a look, i said no but its says for a boxer took it out and it wouldnt of even fit his paw. i was like thank god i had a look lol x

I use a Canny Collar on my GSPs without any fuss or problems at all (so not for little dogs only) both sit and have them put on and I take them off when they want to run off lead....if you follow the instructions and get the correct size they work perfectly well, and dont pull the mouth closed like other head collars which is not good for soft lipped dogs like Pointers

The Dogmatic has arrived, and wonder of wonders, it fits biggrin.gif.

Now for the first outing, do I, just put it on and go, which I'm concerned about but I was reading in either Jean Donaldson book or Patricia McConnell's book that they just stick it on and see how the dog goes unsure.gif, if there's a great deal of arsing about then they do the whole soft introduction thing, hmmmmm, I've always done the soft approach, but we'd just be walking about ten yards to the field, so perhaps it's worth taking the chance, if he's upset he'll still have his collar on unsure.gif

The Dogmatic has arrived, and wonder of wonders, it fits biggrin.gif.

Now for the first outing, do I, just put it on and go, which I'm concerned about but I was reading in either Jean Donaldson book or Patricia McConnell's book that they just stick it on and see how the dog goes unsure.gif, if there's a great deal of arsing about then they do the whole soft introduction thing, hmmmmm, I've always done the soft approach, but we'd just be walking about ten yards to the field, so perhaps it's worth taking the chance, if he's upset he'll still have his collar on unsure.gif

Jean donaldson does build up good association - video here - look for the conditioning emotional response one, where she gets Buffy to love having her head collar put on.

Unless I had a dog I was certain wouldn't care I'd do as Jean Donaldson does. It doesn't take long.

Thanks for the link khanu flowers.gif much appreciated, it is Jean Donaldsons book Fight, that I read it in, just had to double check, she does go on to say it can be pretty aversive to just slap a headcollar on some dogs, but she doesn't seem to be against it unsure.gif, I think I'll stick to the habituation route though, it what I've done with other dogs.

Oh, and I spoke too soon, the bloody things too big laugh.gif.

I'm not against just putting a head collar on either - I've done it with one of my own dogs. But I was pretty certain she wouldn't have a problem with it. With the others or any dog where I'm not sure about what their response will be, I do some CER work.

The ABRI site is a really good resource, I like it a lot