UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

An Amazing Flyballing Weekend

Anniegirl

We have just got back from competing in the European Flyball Championships in Belgium, it was a brilliant weekend with great support from all the British teams who entered.

British teams won division 11 and 6, came second in divisions 2, 3 (our team!) and 5, and third in division one!

We had two teams entered and the format is different from how we race in the UK. There was speed trial in the morning, with each team trying to get the fastest time for their placing in the double eliminator in the afternoon. This is a knockout competition, but you have to loose twice to be out of the competition.

One of our teams, Alpha Ville, raced on Saturday in division 7, but we got knocked out of the double eliminator after three races. All the dogs raced well in high tempertures (and a bit of rain), including my Annie, who adores flyball but can sometimes get a bit too excited and go and see the dogs in the other lane. I am so proud of her as she helped us to win the one race we did win in the afternoon

Annie

8D3F3213.jpg

Pumpkin - also competing in Alpha Ville

8D3F3224.jpg

Our other team, Alphas Abroad, gave us the most exciting flyball racing we have ever had. We won the speed trials in the morning (with a time of 17.68 seconds), and got through to the semi finals in the double eliminator. We were 2 nil down, came back to 2 all, but were beaten by a couple of hundreths of a second in the last leg. Therefore the winners, a Belgian team called K-otic Flyers Magic were through to the final, but as you have to loose twice to be out we had another chance against the other team that had also only lost once. We beat them which put us back in the final against K-otic.

Again we went two nil down, the dogs were tiring and one of our youngsters got a bit spooked by the huge crowd watching us and ran out. We took him out and managed to bring it back and win 2-3. Unfortunately this ment that K-otic had only lost once, so we had to race them again after a short break. Again we had a some dog errors so lost 3 nil, but it was an amazingly fantastic final with great atmosphere both in and out of the arena.

All the dogs were brilliant, and ran their hearts out in a difficult environment, it was quite hot and there were large crowds. I was especially proud of my Mellie, it was her first open competition and she didn't put a paw wrong :biggrin: :biggrin:

8D3F3257.jpg

I am already looking forward to next year when hopefully we will be off to Germany :biggrin: