UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cat Advice Please

kittycat

Neko (the cat) usually lives quite happily with the dogs, sleeps with them, plays with them, with eat scraps with them and there has never been an issue.

Recently I've noticed cuts and scratches on Phoenix, I thought he'd done them on walks but it's Neko!

I observed yesterday Phoenix walk past Neko and Neko latched on to him and was biting at his back legs. While Phe was sleeping, Neko nips at his ears. Phoenix being Phoenix doesn't react at all just yelps.

Neko mostly seems to be instigating play but Phoenix is full of little cuts, has anyone has similar experience or advice on how to get Neko to not be so rough :rolleyes:

our cat does the same...with the staffy it's ok s she will pin him or run away, with the staff x it is not so good..he has delicate skin and won't dare stand up to him (he is about 50 times the size of the cat) i just shout the cats name tell him no and pick him up and move him away from the dog..hasn't stopped him yet though

My Molly can be quite naughty too. She stands underneath the dinner table and waits for Tess to walk past before jumping out and scratching her and then retreats again. Tess does the same as Phoenix and just yelps- that's the only way I know it's happening most of the time as she usually only does it when I have my back turned, but I have caught her a few times.

The times that I have caught her I pick her up from under the table, tell her off and then put her outside for a period of time. It's difficult as she then stands at the back door looking in and meowing! But I only leave her there for 5 minutes or so, whether she understands it or not is another question. However, she hasn't done it for a while now so it has helped a bit.

She also does the same to my other cat Bobby, who is twice the size of her and a total wuss. Ever since they were kittens she has bullied him and he has never stood up to her, so I'm not surprised she is trying it with Tess too. On a couple of occasions she has tried to swipe me- but I'm not sure if that's something to do with the fact that she lived feral for the first three months of her life before ending up in rescue. However, her and Bobby are from the same litter and he is the most loving and affectionate cat that you could wish for.

I use time outs with the Bengals (monsters that they are!) - if they are pestering the other cats or dogs they go in the porch for half an hour until they have calmed down a bit.

I always tell them to think about what they did and they can come out when they are sorry, but I am pretty sure they never do! rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

I always tell them to think about what they did and they can come out when they are sorry, but I am pretty sure they never do! rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

:laugh: glad it is not just me who is convinced the cat knows exactly what i am saying... apparently according to the brat that lives next door we are weird for talking to the animals... i thought everyone nattered to animals :unsure:

I use time outs with the Bengals (monsters that they are!) - if they are pestering the other cats or dogs they go in the porch for half an hour until they have calmed down a bit.

If only I had a porch laugh.gif

Right now you wouldn't think there was an issue with them both being cuddled up together on the bed but Phoenix has a selection of fresh wounds on his ear from yesterdays assult! rolleyes.gif Though he was caught in the act and placed in solitatry confinement in the bathroom I stand by my belief that he was ever so SMUG when I finally gave into his yarling when I let him out!