UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Possible For Old-Dog Eye Cloudiness To Improve?

JoT

I've noticed that Duke's eyes don't look as cloudy as they did when he first arrived here, about 18 months ago. But I thought I must be imagining it because I would have thought cloudiness was irreversible :huh:

But then today, Paul mentioned that he thought they looked less cloudy. I hadn't said anything about it to Paul, so for him to notice too, made me think perhaps I hadn't imagined it after all.

Just wondered if anyone else had noticed this happen? BTW, Duke's supposedly about 16 years old.

Assuming the cloudiness is due to nuclear sclerosis then I've certainly never heard of it improving - though it often doesn't seem to affect dogs' eyesight much, it usually gets gradually more pronounced as the dog gets older.

Will be interested to see if anyone else has come across this!

Ah, the allergy information is very interesting. :flowers: He suffers with seasonal allergies in the summer that affect his skin and ears, so I wonder if his eyes might be made cloudier then.

He wasn't with us last winter/spring (he was rehomed and then came back to us) so I don't know whether they looked less cloudy this time last year.

Edited by JoT

I was doing some background reading when trying to help an older boy with very cloudy eyes a few months ago. I'm not sure if it will answer your question or not but I found these interesting. Perhaps, like allergies, if he had a bacteria or fungal based cause it may wax and wane?

http://merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/toc_30100.htm

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cloudy-eye-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope they continue to improve, whatever the reason. flowers.gif

Max has cloudy eyes and when he had a problem with his eye last year, the vet said that the cloudy bits in his eyes were 'leaking' and that this could in some cases actually lead to an improvement in vision (obviously not in Max's case as he's blind). He did require medication for it, some sort of steriodal eye drops which the vet said he should be on for the rest of his life, but I didn't like the thought of putting steriods in his eyes long term and his eye problem cleared up fairly quickly so we stopped using it.

Not sure whether all vets would spot it as this vet takes a particular interest in eye related diseases.