UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cerebrovascular Disease

Rumpole

my mother in law has been having funny turns where she just sets off at a pace for no reason and cant stop herself, this has terrified her and us as the last time it happened she shot into the road in the centre of town and couldn't stop. Thankfully someone grabbed her

obviously we took her to the doctors who initially said possible parkinsons disease but tests have now come back as extensive Cerebrovascular disease with lower body parkinsonism :(

We have looked on google and know that the prognosis is bleak but wondered if anyone on here knows anyone who has suffered this and also what physical help is available to my mum in law such as walking aids or a wheelchair. She is scared to go out alone (and has been told not to now in any case)

There is a good chance that she will be moving in with hubbys sister so she wont be alone but we have no idea who to contact with regard to walking aids and the like and are all stunned at the news, though she is blissfully unaware of the severity and the implications of her illness as yet.

Any help or advice would be greatly apprecioated :flowers:

my mother in law has been having funny turns where she just sets off at a pace for no reason and cant stop herself, this has terrified her and us as the last time it happened she shot into the road in the centre of town and couldn't stop. Thankfully someone grabbed her

obviously we took her to the doctors who initially said possible parkinsons disease but tests have now come back as extensive Cerebrovascular disease with lower body parkinsonism :(

We have looked on google and know that the prognosis is bleak but wondered if anyone on here knows anyone who has suffered this and also what physical help is available to my mum in law such as walking aids or a wheelchair. She is scared to go out alone (and has been told not to now in any case)

There is a good chance that she will be moving in with hubbys sister so she wont be alone but we have no idea who to contact with regard to walking aids and the like and are all stunned at the news, though she is blissfully unaware of the severity and the implications of her illness as yet.

Any help or advice would be greatly apprecioated :flowers:

I'm so sorry to hear this. :flowers: and :GroupHug: for your Mum. My Mum had multi-infarct dementia (mini strokes which caused dementia). It was a long time ago when it first developed so my advice may not be correct now. If you ring your local social services department they should be able to help you with practical advice and also advice re the benefits your Mum may be able to claim. I also made an appointment with my Mum's GP when the symptoms started to ask for help but as I said it was some time ago and this may not be the route for help now.

I'm sure there are others on here who will give you more advice.

Daughter, who's training to be a nurse said there are three parties you should contact.

Your MiL GP, they should work with social services so the aids would be funded. Occupational health, so the correct aids are offered. Might be slightly different in different areas, but not that much.

Hope that helps.

Big Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif to you all.

Edited by greys mum

If you live in a big city- all kinds of services will click in after an initial assessment, automatically - house cleaners , laundry service, bed makers and aid assessors.

In a rural or seaside area, it might be very different,

The most important thing to do is to apply for Disability Living allowance ( if applicable under pension age) carers allowances and anything else that is available . , even though it can be a bit of a minefield. cash can often help out where good intentions fail.

I'm sorry to read this. Though largely on the mend I have a relative who suffered a stroke not so long ago & "vaguely knew" a man with Parkinsons a few years ago so I would imagine your family will all be "quite worried" by this

Have you had a look at Parkinson Disease Society? They will help you with advice and possibly, depending upon her savings, financially towards adaptations etc

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/

This support group for people with brain issues may well have experience / useful information

http://www.cerebralf....uk/carers.html

Perhaps the Stroke Association, Help the aged & Age concern could offere general support or advice?

I hope all goes as well as can be expected under the circumstances for her and all of you. Good luck Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Edited by Ian

Contacting your MIL GP is the first priority as they can directly access the other important people: occupational therapists - they're the ones who can sort out aids for the home, adaptations, aids to help in the bathroom etc, they also know about grants etc available to help with funding bigger changes; physiotherapists - will assess the best sorts of walking aids for her. They will look at her gait (how she walks - is her pace even, jerky, lopsided etc), has she got good/ poor stability (can she stand upright unaided or only with help)and also look at her overall strength and stamina; social worker will be allocated who can provide access to home carers, day centre access, know about benefits available, respite care for family etc.

The GP is the key to unlocking all the help these days. Make good friends with them and they are invaluable. I speak from personal experience as my mother has multi-infarct dementia.

Please feel free to PM me if I can help further.

thank you all for your kind thoughts

:flowers:

mum in law was told her diagnosis by letter which only arrived over the weekend so we couldnt get hold of her gp till today (not happy about the sending a letter bit i must say)

she now has an appointment so hopefully everything should click into place over the coming weeks.