UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Suggestions To Help Us Rescue Group

Terrier

laugh.gif How timely. By co-incidence I made a comment about lobbying for change & considering waiving fees for those in genuine difficulty over in the contro. thread on pets rehomed by Freecycle etc

I'm sure there are people who rehome but could consider keeping pets but with the possible exceptions of PDSA, Tailwaggers Trust & PFSS (the latter 2 of which are each only a small charity) I don't think there's much help out there

It concerns me that pets can even be part of the economic equation ( i would beg on the streets before letting go of mine) and also that they can be much of a saving.

I am concerned about the number of pets being given up because of housing issues-- I .e. the new Landlords will not allow them. People should be encouraged to ask why rather than just give in.

Some landlords dont have a repeatable reason. Some talk of allergies and others of possible damage , both of these are mythical-- I have offered a free End of Tenancy deep clean service to any new landord that relents on the matter ; as well as allergy management advice coupled with mattress cleaniing for donations only to pet owneres ; in my area.

I am working on some new plans which include a booklet, but its going to take some time.

I agree on the economics & doing whatever you have to do.

I just don't "get" the housing thing at all personally. In my "simple little mind" if the prospective landlord wont accept your pets you keep looking until you find another landlord who will. (Our local Council for instance don't raise any objection to reasonable pet ownership in many of it's homes) I'd be interested to know what % of the "rental market" do own pets? unsure.gif & what would happen if they were to collectively take that sort of stand.

Good luck with your booklet.

Very hard to get a council tenancy in some places, Ian. If my landlord ever moves back from France and wants to live in this house, the council here would probably find me somewhere. But in Ceredigion where I used to live, there is about 4 years wait on all accommodation other than flats, and no pets are allowed in their flats. It's incredibly hard to find landlords who will take pets, as I have said on the other thread.

I am sorry to say that there is often a "porky" position. I have come across some cases where the stated reason for rehoming a dog. ie "new landlord will not allow". has , upon investigation , not be true.

When the landlord is a housing association or council . finding another landlord may mean moving 50 miles away , which is difficult if you have a job.

I've often wondered about this situation. It seems to me to be awful that a "nation of pet lovers" can watch while someone falls on hard times and has to give up their beloved pet. Talk about kicking someone when they're down!

There are people who keep their dog and won't move where they can't take their pet. They live rough. The only hostels in our area won't take dogs either.I know that not everyone in this position has gone through this but as a Samaritan in Derby I have met these people before and after losing their accommodation. Living rough is no fun.

Lots of people value their rental properties very highly (rightly so - they're a big investment) and never see them as their tenants home. It's always the landlord's asset.

Then there's the problem of people who fall ill and cannot take care of their animals. There's no one to help them, even if it's a temporary thing. Nowadays we can't rely on families. Many people have no one nearby who can/will help. Or maybe it's someone who has to run away from domestic violence. I know people who won't leave an appalling situation because they won't leave the dog and can't take it with them.

I feel so sorry for people who have to give up everything. I've personally fostered many cats and dogs while their owners are going through a rough time and everyone's delight when things are sorted and everyone's reunited makes it all worthwhile. But is there not a way of organising something nationally where help could be offered. I know the cinnamon trust does some excellent work helping with elderly and terminally ill, but it's not enough.

I'm thoroughly unconvinced about the compassion of our nation nowadays.

Diane

We were no better as a nation years ago. Back in the 50s and 60s it was hard to get rented accommodation where children were allowed, and it was common for a couple who were expecting a baby or had a newborn to be evicted on the grounds that they had broken the tenancy agreement. If they failed to find anywhere else they might get a family hostel place if they were very lucky, with the hope of council rental at some point in the future. If they weren't so lucky they would be out on the street and the baby would be taken away and put into care.

So at least we have improved regarding families with children. I hope we can eventually have a better attitude to the importance of companion animals, but I don't see much sign of it yet.

Perhaps it varies in different areas then. I didn't have pets at the time but back in the late 90's looked at the possibility renting a Council House in Hull for a while. Getting a garage in a rough area would have been an issue but getting somewhere to live seemed no problem. High rise flats & some of the adapted housing say no pets in the press ad's these days but generally they are happy with reasonable pet ownership.

On temporary care, PFSS will help with temporary difficulty in Scotland (though I wonder whether The Blue Cross are starting to take them down a different route, ie rehoming only, elsewhere in the country)

http://www.pfss.org.uk/

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/AboutUs/Rehoming/Fostering.asp

Possibly The Mayhew in London may offer help too (see link below), but elsewhere you're likely to struggle unless a victim of domestic violence when Dogs Trust & others may help

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/f/freedomproject/freedompetfosterservices09.aspx

As you say for a nation of pet lovers it's very sad that someone in temporary difficulty can't get help sad.gif