UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nhs Making This So Much Harder To Cope With

Clare

I am obviously very lucky that the local NHS trust has been nothing short of fantastic for the last 30 years where my folks are concened. I think I was 11 when dad had a major heart attack, bypass surgery and out within a matter of weeks. When mum had breast cancer, the consultant drove to our house to tell her personally rather than send her a letter. Years later mum had a stroke and was dealt with impecably, and recently dad has had prostate cancer and been treated with speed and respect. They dealt with my early stage cancerous cells after a dodgy smear with speed and have had me through various other treatments, all without incident. Perhaps we are just a lucky family (if having that many ailments can be deemed as lucky :laugh: ) but the Cheshire and Merseyside NHS trust has been fantastic throughout my life.

Perhaps its a postcode lottery? :unsure:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could begin to tell you of the hell I am going through at the moment because of a vindictive patient you would see the other side of things and what can be done to NHS staff who have done nothing wrong bar provide good care :angry:

Jules, we know that happens as well. Please don't think we are unaware of that. I've worked on the wards myself as an agency auxiliary. I was also on the receiving end of vindictive accusations (drunkenness and theft!!) and verbal and physical abuse during my time as a domiciliary care assistant, and it is truly horrible.

However, during all the years I was accompanying my late OH to many hospital visits, I have had some very bad experiences with a few individuals in the NHS to whom I have shown unfailing politeness and respect in spite of their rudeness to me. I have to say the problem was mainly with doctors. It is not OK to misidentify a patient and tell him he needs to have a foot amputated, and then lose your temper with the patient for not being who you thought he was. I'm pleased to say that particular hospital has now insisted that every staff member correctly IDs every new patient they deal with. They dealt with my injured hand last month and were excellent.

I have lost count of the times I have been told off and even shouted at because OH's brittle diabetes could not be controlled in spite of his best efforts. It is not right to blame a carer who has no one to stand up for her, for a situation which no one can do much about.

I come from a medical family, I know the pressure which staff are under. I also know that my doctor stepdad and nurse mum would have found the above examples quite unacceptable.

It's a great pity when patients and their carers distrust or are frightened of hospital staff, but this is the way I tend to feel now.

I am sorry that you are being targeted by a vindictive patient. Sod's law, it would be the dedicated staff who get trouble.

Yes I agree with you Phebe.The sad thing is my problems all started purely because I chose to whistle blow about a poorly performing NHS employee.My union blokey told my PCT's Human Resources team the action they took against me actively discouraged staff from speaking out about bad practice.

A year down the line it still goes on and at times I wish I'd never spoken out about her, but at the end of the day I have right on my side and whatever sh*t they chuck at me I'll always know that one thing.

Because that 'right' is what makes the NHS a better place for everyone,staff and patients.