UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Rear Lifting Harnesses

Jasmine

I visited a disabled elderly lady today and her 17 year old dog called Kim. Kim has trouble with her rear legs and seems to be going slightly senile. The lady's sister (who hates dogs) had been telling her to have her PTS. So, she got worried in case she was making her suffer.

I took Margaret (fosters elderly dogs for Dogstrust) with me and Kim was perky, lively and gobbled her treats and toddled off for a drink twice. Just the back legs were wobbly, when she goes in the garden for a wee etc there are two steps and the lady has to help her back up them. Obviously with her being disabled she finds this difficult so was wondering if anyone had any experience with rear dog harnesses that she could try and if they would be suitable for her and Kim.

Although she showed no signs of senility while we were there with what she described it seems she's slightly senile. Am going to visit once or twice a week and get her registered at my vets. The vets she's using don't have a good name in the area and that's on good authority.

Sorry for the ramble :blush02: but if anyone has used one of these I'd be interested to hear what they think.

At least we eased her mind as she was crying on the phone to me when she rang, we left her feeling happier thank goodness. :GroupHug:

Glad you managed to sort this one out so quickly for the lady and her sweet old dog. I have seen rear support harnesses on USA sites but I don't know about anything like that made over here. If there is a source you hear of, it might be worth letting folk on here know in case the need ever arises again.

I have a leather one which was made for a lab. It was donated to me by someone at work as the lady who bought it has now sadly lost her dog and thought it might be useful for another dog.

If anyone wants it I am more than happy to post it out. I haven't got the dimensions as it's currently stored in a cupboard at work but I'll bring it home and measure it up.

cheerswink.gif