UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Wet Or Dry Food

gillyb3

I feed Tess Lily's Kitchen. They are a small business that make organic cat and dog food and are fab! You can buy it online and it is free delivery for orders over £30. http://www.lilyskitchen.co.uk/ I only give her the chicken and turkey caserole as she has a dodgy digestive system and beef etc doesn't agree with her. It is quite costly (£2.10 a tin ohmy.gif ) but I think it's worth it as I was having to take her to the vets to have her anal glands done every week before hand and now she has no problems at all.

I give her half a tin in the morning and half a tin in the evening mixed it with some Science Plan senior dry food. Then if she is still hungry in the evening I give her a handful of the biscuits on their own.

I think Wainwrights is the best cheaper line of food. You can get six tins of chicken bake for under £5 in Pets At Home and their 15 kg bags of dry food retail at around £30.

Wow lots of advice thankyou, i really dont think my dog like dry food at all, and some of you have said about naturediet and wainrights so next time i go shopping i will look at these ones.

Maybe someone could answer this very strange question for me, our dogs bottom and top teeth have lots of lines going across his teeth on the inside,, any idea what this could be from? They look like they have been there quite awhile. And he has had one front tooth out.

Maybe this is why he doesnt like hard food do you think?

Never seen anything like it before.

Ive make note of them feeds and will look for them,

we do have jollys and pets at home about 15 miles away so not far really, plus a good pet shop about 10miles away.

Thankyou again for the help

Gillian

wub.gif Forgot to ask another question (sorry).

Our dogs weighs about 27kg now and speaking to our vet she says thats about his right weight, I was wondering how much wet food would you actually feed for this weight.

You see before when we got him he was on 360grams of arden grange and when we asked about changing him over to wet we wasnt to sure quite how much wet to give and the vet and nurses couldnt give a very good answer, depends this depends that, i just need some idea. So going on our old dogs being abit smaller so we worked on around 700gram wet. He seem to look about right now as he need to put some weight on when we got him.

Anyway i was just wondering how much you lot would feed for 27kg dog on wet food??.

Sorry im full of questions, any body think i havent had dogs all my lifewub.gif , you just like to know your doing the best for them.

Gillian

Wet foods are all different in their calorie content so there's no hard and fast rule I'm afraid,there are guidelines on the back of all dog foods so you would use that as a starting point, then you just need to play it by ear,if you feel he's turning into a wee barrel then cut back a bit.

Not too sure about the lines on his teeth (I thought you were meaning his bum (bottom) and top teeth :laugh: )might have been nutritional imbalance when he was a pup :unsure:

could just be lots of layers of plaque on his teeth that are wearing away in layers..just a guess..if feeding a lot of wet food your dogs teeth will build up plaque/tartar much quicker so you need to make sure you help your dog keep his teeth clean, brushing if your dog will allow it (dog toothbrush and toothpaste are available) or dental chews.

my dog used to have james wellbeloved dry but seems to prefer the pets at home own brand dry, and she's a sucker for a bit of butchers wet food mixed in.

are your dogs gums darker red or sore looking? when i got my dog she had a broken tooth and really red gums, even after a dental when her gums were back to being pink and normal it took her months to dare to eat chews of any kind, she can still be worried at times, i think she thinks it will hurt her mouth if she eats them

could just be lots of layers of plaque on his teeth that are wearing away in layers..just a guess..if feeding a lot of wet food your dogs teeth will build up plaque/tartar much quicker so you need to make sure you help your dog keep his teeth clean, brushing if your dog will allow it (dog toothbrush and toothpaste are available) or dental chews.

my dog used to have james wellbeloved dry but seems to prefer the pets at home own brand dry, and she's a sucker for a bit of butchers wet food mixed in.

are your dogs gums darker red or sore looking? when i got my dog she had a broken tooth and really red gums, even after a dental when her gums were back to being pink and normal it took her months to dare to eat chews of any kind, she can still be worried at times, i think she thinks it will hurt her mouth if she eats them

Its very strange his teeth all the lines. He has very clean teeth and its not tartar built up.

I notice in his notes that he did have his teeth cleaned when he was at the rescue centre.

Very strange, guess we will never know quite what its about.

Gillian